Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ear plug advice?
From: Gary Badger
Date: 13/04/2017, 8:26 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, Brian Blankenship
CC: Erika Tedin <eclcowan@gmail.com>

Likewise. I'm a trumpet player and I've played on some very loud rock band stages before. Back in the day the foam ear plugs were straight cylinder shaped, and I used to cut one in half for a good balance between hearing and keeping my hearing.

I'll be taking my ER-20s tonight (JB Hi-Fi sells them), but also a pair of foam ones just in case it's too much for me.

See you at Selina's.

Cheers,
Gary.

Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Apr 2017, at 7:49 am, Brian Blankenship brian@wesmax.net [powderworks] <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

I've worn earplugs ever since I spent an entire show pinned against the stage with my head above the stage monitors.

Relatively cheap option: ER-20s are widely available and have a nice flat attenuation (unlike foam earplugs or balled up napkins).

If you want to invest more and get something much more comfortable, invest in custom earplugs, several companies make them, I wear Westone ES49s (https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/es49-custom)

Getting off my soapbox now...
Brian
On Apr 12, 2017, at 3:28 PM, "Erika Tedin eclcowan@gmail.com [powderworks]" <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

OK, so I'll admit up front I'm getting old. I remember the band the FIRST time around! And I don't want to destroy my hearing, but NOT hearing the Oils at full volume isn't something I want to do either.

So, is there a preferred earplug that will protect my ears, but not diminish the quality of the concert? I have a list of a few that seem highly recommended but thought I'd ask here too.

I'm kind of afraid to post on FB, LOL!

Cheers,
Erika