Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Digest Number 2686
From: "Powderlurker ." <powderlurker@hotmail.com>
Date: 6/04/2017, 12:08 pm
To: "powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au" <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

I think the transparency issue is kind of at the crux of the matter. To find out what has happened, after the fact, is always a kick in the shins... especially as some of us luddites would have joined the facebook group, rather than just scanned it (because, let's face((book)) it... there's a lot of 'white noise' on that forum) to improve our chances of getting a ticket.

Bands supporting / assisting their fanbase with tickets isn't an unheard-of thing. It's just that most bands usually do it in more altruistic ways. Even U2, Rolling Stones, etc. (despite their monolithic status) seem to be able to make this happen for their fanclub.

The bands are under no obligation to support the fans... but neither are the fans under any obligation to support the bands for 30+ years... through diesel &/or dust...

Possibly, making the registration offer to all 50,000 - 70,000+ Domain ticket buyers (ie - the Frontier 'list') wasn't the smoothest way of having a fan lottery. As a friend said.... where were all these 'fans' on the last 3 or 4 RSL tours?

So a lot of us are venting because we didn't get tickets because we tried everything we could to get there. That's not really a surprise... especially since only one person I know of, on the list, got a Selinas ticket... and do we know anyone on the facebook page who's getting a guernsey?

(I'm prepared to get shot down, about this...).

It sucks being in a contest when you don't really know the rules.

So, anyway, Jeremy.... did you score a ticket?

Lottery or Facebook?

I know you'd be pretty disappointed if you weren't going.

cheers,

'lurker...

Wed Apr 5, 2017 5:20 pm (EST) . Posted by:

"jp1975" oils7802

Myself as an admin or whatever you want to call it on the FB page i can tell you 120% chris that the selection process was conducted the office/management as they do watch the FB page and they also have been a longtime member via this forum. Thete are a lot of people carrying because A. Their understandably upset they missed out in the ballot & B. Now there there knowledgable of the extra 50 tickets for workers their even mote pissed because for one reason or another you have a sense of entitlement to a ticket.
I can tell you Brett tried his hardest to get ad many as he could and in the end it was 50 only offered. The band are under no obligation to do that but they did. From there they did the selection process based on the group activity. He was just asked to help possibly establish location.
Time to back off & just be happy that the band is back regardless of whether you see them next week or the end of the year
I am obviously a member of this list, but lets face it social media had taken over so forums like this start to become less important. The band have an active presence via all platforms and also acknowledge the FB group for which again they don'thave to but respect & appreciate who we are.
JP

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: "Chris seeker42@gmail.com [powderworks]" <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au> Date: 5/4/17 1:56 pm (GMT+10:00) To: Miron Mizrahi <mironmizrahi@yahoo.com>, powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, Endurance Dancer <quiltybuckle@yahoo.com.au> Subject: Re: [powderworks] Facebook page

Wed Apr 5, 2017 5:48 pm (EST) . Posted by:

"Miron Mizrahi" mironmizrahi

Hi Jeremy
Thanks for the insight. What you describe is consistent with how I see it.

However, I think that to say that people are upset because they feel entitled to a ticket is misrepresenting the situation. What people are irate about is the process and transparency. and I must say that I have certain issues with it too, though perhaps not as much as some. people feel entitled to a chance, and they are. when you have a situation where a self appointed person, or a group of people, by virtue of being admins of a FB group (which let's face it, should not constitute privilege) participate in a selection process in private, something ain't right. it may have been the only way to go but that does not make it right. Brett's reply that 'I did not have the time or resources to run a ballot' is not an excuse. Note that I am not accusing him of anything sinister, only commenting that there are many open questions that have not been answered and that whole exercise looks like it was a rush job and that there may have been another way to run this.

what I have most issue with is the attitude that the band is watching and if we keep arguing they won't do it again. I would very much like to believe that the band is not approaching this as "we will be nice to you but only if you behave". I am also concerned should a mindset that the FB admin group speaks for the fan base instill itself in the office. I hope this does not happen and I hope the band continues to keep communication lines open. The interaction we have is unique, I think, in the world of show biz, and some criticism and the occasional flaring tempers should not diminish it.
It is also understandable that some are irate about the fact that this list, which until the emergence of FB, has been beyond peer amongst Oils fans did not merit consideration.

cheers
 Miron