Midnight Oil

Subject: RE: [powderworks] Using the oils music in personal videos
From: "Jeff and Jane Scott" <jscott@iinet.net.au>
Date: 10/01/2016, 11:36 am
To: <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>, "'Jeff McLean'" <jeff.mclean@exemail.com.au>

-----Original Message-----

Hi folks,

Does anyone know the rules about using Oils copyrighted music in personal
videos?

I'm not really answering your question here, but this really gives me the shits with YouTube.  I've had many a personal video project rejected from there for using commercially released music as background, with the sounds of my personal video mixed over the top.  Now in one sense I understand - the fact that it's a personal non-profit production doesn't change copyright law.  But what does shit me is that YouTube is absolutely overflowing with music videos or even just the audio of songs on a static background and plenty of people use it as a source for getting songs without paying for them.  So why is my video project rejected, but I can go on there and download complete albums of just about anybody?

Rant over.

Jeff...