Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Box Set want list
From: Chris
Date: 23/04/2014, 3:00 pm
To: Powderworks

I can't find where I was reading about it, but my recollection is that a small number of lyrics on Midnight Oil were considered "unintelligible" during the remastering, and those specific lines were dubbed over with fresh takes from Pete. It's certainly not rampant. I think I noticed it in one place, and I'm too lazy to pull out my CD and check.

I didn't buy the remastered version of Diesel. I did buy the remastered versions of everything pre-Diesel. I don't think the remaster was necessary, and I don't think it constitutes an improvement.

I just realised I've never listened to the remaster of Blue Sky Mining. I might pull up Spotify and do that now, just for my own amusement.

Incidentally, my googling just turned up some forum threads on the "Culture Factory" re-issues that were mentioned on the list recently - apparently the "remastering" is awful. Can't say I'm shocked.

- Chris

On 23 April 2014 14:49, <hooperadrianr@yahoo.com> wrote:

Vocal overdubs on Midnight Oil and Head Injuries?!!  Please tell me it isn't so!

I'm one of the few probably on this list that hasn't bought the remasters on iTunes (well I did with Bird Noises but I've been awaiting the physical release of everything else).  I did get the D&D remaster though and I can't stand the changes made to Sell My Soul.  I'll confess I've listened to the remaster so infrequently I hadn't noticed changes to Sometimes, but the crucial snare hit at the 2:48 min mark in Sell My Soul is gone replaced with - nothing.  (In fact the guitar solo and instrumental breakdown from 2:00 - 3:00 has been annoyingly tampered with - extra backing vocals, drum fills, clutter).  It IS tantamount to a remix not a remaster.  And seriously, for what effect?

The idea that HI and/or MO would have elements recorded... surely not?

Adrian