Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Capricornia and Kiss that Girl
From: Damien Balkin
Date: 20/06/2013, 5:24 pm
To: "powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au" <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

I believe the three songs offered at the time were Dead Heart, Beds are Burning and You May Not Be Released.

The Oils went back out to a community called "Utopia" to write songs for the album after the Blackfella Whitefella tour. Utopia is a remote community to the east of Alice Springs. The community school teacher at the time and his wife are very close friends of Martin's. I lived next door to this gentleman for several years and Martin would visit him occasionally.

Members of the Oils have visited Utopia a few times since to do music workshops with the local children. Rob had an article about it on the old Ghostwriters website.

I was also told that the band returned to Utopia as part of the song writing process for Capricornia to camp out and write songs, the original album concept being a 'rock opera' based on the novel by Xavier Herbert.

Damien

Sent from my iPhone