Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] the break - space farm
From: Chris
Date: 17/03/2013, 2:46 pm
To: Powderworks

Hmm. I'll have to give the album a few more listens - as someone who enjoys The Break best when they're being Surf-Oils, I'm a bit disappointed that this album generally isn't that. There's no Birdman or Cylinders or Massacres here - a high-energy rock album this ain't. If you were wondering what Ten Guitars was doing on there, the answer is "setting the tone". If there's such a thing as folk-space-surf-rock than this is it.

On the upside, it's not just Church of the Open Sky Redux - it's a new album full of new stuff. Adding Jack Howard to the lineup was a kind of genius, it's certainly brought a new and engaging sound. I'm just not sure I didn't prefer the sound they produced before.

Oddly, the album is bookended by songs which are off-tone - Space Farm and Psychonauts for Freedom suggest a very different album to the one that's actually between them, one that's bigger, more dramatic, more rock. I'm not sure what to make of that.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Chris <seeker42@gmail.com> wrote:
For anyone else who was let down by Australia Post, the new album is available to stream freely through Spotify (and possibly competing services, I don't know).

I'm only up to the title track so far, so I shall withhold full judgement. First thoughts - it's a lot like the second half of Church of the Open Sky, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

- Chris

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM, jeremy peisley <jp1975@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Listening to the new break album. It�s not bad. Like the first one will take a few listens to grow. In the mean time i�m dancing with 10 guitars