Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: downloading files from dimeadozen?
From: Chris
Date: 14/11/2012, 8:56 am
To: Powderworks

For what it's worth:

Bittorrent is a communications protocol, not a culture.

Yes, Bittorrent is popularly associated with the distribution of pirated material. That's not something that's inherent in the system, though - avoiding Bittorrent because it's associated with piracy is much like avoiding Italian restaurants for fear of the mob.

Dime is a safe, legal community of people sharing music and video. It's tightly regulated - inappropriate material is swiftly removed. There's no shady ads and no risk of being infected by viruses or spyware.

Long story short: it's sensible to be afraid of shady looking "torrent sites". It's not sensible to be afraid of Dime.

- Chris

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:04 AM, miss <miss_penelope_loves_you@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Thanks Gary for all the information. I may install it on a pc that I never use anymore. I don't feel safe using torrent sites on my every day Mac.