Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: Essential Oils
From: Andrew Pye
Date: 16/09/2012, 2:03 pm
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

I agree with both these sentiments from Adrian and Garry.

In fact, I'd go a step further and say I think I'm about the only person on this list who thinks the Oils should never get back together for anything more than the odd benefit show or alike. Talk/hope of a reunion makes me nervous at best!

I love the Oils, I wouldn't be on this list if I didn't. They've enriched, educated, enthralled and exhilarated me over the years and still think they are the best band there's ever been, but all good things must come to an end and for me personally, from Diesel onwards the albums gradually captivated me less and less compared to what proceeded. Personally I think that if you picked the best songs from Diesel onwards you could make one killer album out of them. Before that, I don't there's a bad song amongst them! And given the nature of the stage show, it's inevitable that it too would loose it's intensity with the passing years. The intensity of their shows is what they were famous for! And rightly so! They were awesome! But I mean fair go, they're only human and we all slow down with the passing years!

I feel very fortunate to have seen the Oils at their peak for the 70 plus times I did (lost count at about 72). The adrenaline rush from that is still yet to be replaced. But I'm happy to say thanks for the memories and relive some of them through a box set and some previously unseen/unheard stuff from the early days, instead of seeing a shadow of what was and being disappointed remembering what it used to be like.

Andrew.

On 16/09/2012, at 12:47 PM, Gary Badger wrote:

Maybe so.

But I�d pay $39.99 if the offer was just for a new Oils T-shirt. A remastered greatest hits CD is a bonus extra.

The strategy must clearly be to revive interest amongst the less-than hard-core fans who have not yet replaced their smattering of Oils cassettes and vinyls, and prime them for the upcoming box set. Without this intermediate step the leap to purchasing the box set may be too great for those more casual fans. It�s not too different to the Hunters & Collectors strategy, wherein the greatest hits album �Natural Selection� was released by Liberation (along with some reissues) before the later release of the �Horns a Plenty� box set.

There�s no question the Oil box set will sell to Powderworkers and the like, it�s the fans on the rung below that need to have their interest reignited. Essential Oils is the teaser for them.

The success of this release can only help the success of the box set when it surfaces.

That was my rant anyway��..

Cheers,

Gary.