Midnight Oil

Subject: RE: [powderworks] FW: Box Set - bad news
From: "Gary Badger" <garybadger67@yahoo.com.au>
Date: 24/07/2012, 9:34 pm

… and I’m with both of you!

From: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au] On Behalf Of Koala Sprint
Sent: Tuesday, 24 July 2012 8:52 PM
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

I'm with you Patrick.
As long as the carrot is still there I'm happy.
I'm sure it will be worth the wait. I'm going to build a shelf specially for it to sit.

Stephen

From: Patrick Joller <patrick@propagandagem.com>

Sender: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:46:12 +0200

To: <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

ReplyTo: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

In the meantime it's totally useless for people living outside Australia as we don't care at all about the politics. I know the band tried during their career to mix music and politics and that is why you have a point here. As this boxset will probably sell well in Australia as opposed to other countries this is maybe why it is delayed (adding to this The break's new record).

It's just a shame that it's delayed again and my only concern is that it may be scrapped. I'm dying to hear/see unreleased stuff from the oils to remind me how great they were and to be surprised by stuff I've never heard.

I'm fine with such excuses as "we want to do it right" because I want something huge and unexpected and not only remasters of albums I already own, now I don't think releasing that later because of a political deadline is a good excuse.

Time will tell

On 24 Jul 2012, at 11:32, Gary Badger wrote:

I respect everyone’s speculation on this subject, but I have other theories in mind about what could be behind the delay.

The band only has one shot at a big-bang successful launch of the box set, and they need to be on the lookout for risks that could derail it or impact sales. Pete’s current position on the front bench of an unpopular government could be a distraction, and there could be potential for political points to be gained by the opposition on the subject. There could be claims that Pete is trying to resurrect his musical career in the face of political defeat, or Midnight Oil as a whole could be perceived or reported (“read about it!”) as being aligned to the ALP.

I think the band, including Pete of course, may wish to create some space and distance between the music and the struggling federal government. A box set release some time after the 2013 election loss, with Pete retired or in opposition, would be a much safer time.

My thoughts anyway…………..