Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] B Sides
From: John Palmer
Date: 8/12/2011, 10:44 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Midnight Oil

"YMNBR" is my #1 ... "GB" is my #2

The Oilman wrote:

Well, since they didn't give us as many b-sides as we'd like, I'd have to say for those of us in the US, Gunbarrel Highway was not on Diesel and was a b-side but should have been on that album here no matter what, still find it ridiculous it was not. Also, You May Not be Released was not on Blue Sky here but could easily have been or it could have found a "release" somewhere. So amazing to see them do it live at one of the Mercury Lounge shows in 1997, I honestly never thought I'd be lucky enough to see that one done live in the states. It blew me away.

Here's hoping the Box set has plenty of unreleased rarities and definitely lots of the early years material discussed. If there was a video of the Death to Disco show, that would certainly cook, but seeing as there is such a great live recording of that one out there, I'm hoping for something we have yet to hear.

One thing I asked Rotsey about one time after a show was if they have played every song on every album live at one point, and he said without reservation yes. I even asked him about some of the obscure tracks on Red Sails and such and he said they definitely did at some point in their development while working them out. I need time machine to go back and record these shows from the early days, we've missed out on so much when they were cutting their teeth and writing like crazy playing night after night in small pubs.

Happy Holidays all, Powderworks is far more quite than in the past, but often think of the great fans I've met since joining this board in 1994.

Todd (The Oilman)