Midnight Oil

Subject: [NMOC] Fwd: A note from Missy about Dinosaur Footprints in the Kimberley
From: Stephan J�nsch
Date: 29/08/2011, 6:06 pm
To: Powderworks

I guess this is somewhat related to Oils' politics...

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum:     Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:35:07 +1200
Von:     Missy Higgins <mail@missyhiggins.com>
An:     Stephan <stephan.jaensch@googlemail.com>

   Hey everyone,

   Apologies that this is non-music related, but this is something I
   care very deeply about and in the last few days it has become very
   urgent.

   You see, 130 million year-old dinosaur footprints have been
   discovered along the Kimberley coastline at James Price Point, right
   along an ancient Aboriginal song-line and almost exactly where the
   WA government and Woodside want to build the world's largest LNG
   hub. Scientists have apparently found at least 14 different types of
   dinosaur prints stretched along this section of the coast, which is
   extremely rare to find (they rarely find more than 2 or 3 different
   kinds in one place) and they range from tiny to 1.7 metres in
   diameter! They are blown away by this discovery and say that it
   makes Australia's most famous dinosaur print site at Lark Quarry
   QLD, pale into insignificance.
   These prints are also said to be very culturally significant to the
   Kimberley Indigenous people of that area, showing up in their
   Dreamtime stories as the footprints of Marrala Man, an ancient emu
   spirit. And just another reason for Joseph Roe, senior law boss and
   traditional custodian of that country, to be adamantly against the
   proposed LNG development.

   If this gas hub construction goes ahead, these footprints will be in
   serious danger of being destroyed or damaged forever.

   SO NOW THE REASON FOR THIS EMAIL…!

   In a couple of days Environmental Minister Tony Burke with be
   finalising his Heritage List, and because this finding has ONLY JUST
   HAPPENED there is a strong chance these dinosaur prints won't be
   added to the list at such late notice... /unless/ we spread the word
   fast!

   There are so many arguments against this LNG hub, environmental,
   financial, indigenous rights, and so far none of them seem to be
   standing up to the Giant Greasy Arm Of Industry. But getting these
   dinosaur prints Heritage Listed could just be the thing that saves
   the Kimberley Coast from being desecrated forever. After all, there
   are ALTERNATIVES to piping gas onshore at the Kimberley coast, they
   can easily pipe it down to the Pilbara where there is already the
   infrastructure to receive it with several mining towns, or process
   it offshore. We are not anti-industry, just
   anti-screwing-up-a-pristine-wilderness-unnessarily.

   So please tell your friends about these incredible dinosaur
   footprints. If any of you are in media or have a blog, please write
   about this straight away, ring up talk-back radio, get the
   conversation going, write to Tony Burke! The most important thing is
   to get the word out there, and fast!

   This could be our last chance to save one of the last remaining
   wilderness' on the planet.

   Below are some links to more information.
   Short Youtube Clip about it:
   _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6j0NdylKxo
   <http://www.elevenmusic.com/12all/lt/t_go.php?i=387&e=MTcyNDg0&l=-http--www.youtube.com/watch--Q-v--E-J6j0NdylKxo>_
   West Australian Article:
   _http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/dinosaur-tracks-fuel-opposition-to-35bn-gas-project-near-broome/story-e6frg8h6-1226122981105
   <http://www.elevenmusic.com/12all/lt/t_go.php?i=387&e=MTcyNDg0&l=-http--www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/dinosaur-tracks-fuel-opposition-to-35bn-gas-project-near-broome/story-e6frg8h6-1226122981105>_
   Save Kimberly Article:
   _http://www.savethekimberley.com/wp/dinosaur-prints-our-kimberley-national-heritage/
   <http://www.elevenmusic.com/12all/lt/t_go.php?i=387&e=MTcyNDg0&l=-http--www.savethekimberley.com/wp/dinosaur-prints-our-kimberley-national-heritage/>_

   And I promise I'll write again soon with happier things!

   missy x