Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: Andrew james
From: hotlittlejorge@yahoo.com
Date: 25/02/2011, 6:20 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Probably not sophisticated enough to dissect the technical musicianship of the bass players, but I love the vocal contributions Bones made. The vocal depth and the more full harmonies really added some beauty to the latter records.

Sent from Earth

From: James Warren <jimcwarren@earthlink.net>
Sender: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:16:54 -0800
To: <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>
ReplyTo: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

'87 to 2002. Pretty long end. And with BSM, ESM and Capricornia in there, not a bad way to decline. Band kicked ass. It's almost perfect the way it stands.

On Feb 24, 2011, at 12:03 PM, Adrian wrote:

Bear was good, Giffo was better and Bones was best...

Its all subjective really isn't it. And without debating their individual musical abilities, I suppose it depends largely on what era of the bands body of work you consider they're strongest. Bones the best? Hardly. Bear was unique but Giffo helped transform them from their 70s incarnation to the beast they were in the early 80s. And though he may have had little input into it and while he maybe he nicest bloke in the world, Bones' arrival coincided with the beginning of the end. Giffo was the zenith, Bones the nadair.

I've always wondered what the Oils would have been like post '87 if they'd got their hands on Rick Grossman before the Gurus did.

Adrian