Midnight Oil

Subject: RE: [powderworks] musical mystery of Truganini to solve.
From: chris verdich
Date: 3/10/2010, 12:35 pm

The plane noise that is accented thru a flanger effect ( the doppler type effect ) has the band fading away into the plane noise then leading into 'Bushfire' on ESM. The first version of the single had no plane noise at the end of the track and faded to silence. Bushfire again was track 2 on the single. The plane noise was part of the album and not a trick by an outside source I believe. The only evidence that its a plane over St Peters is the B side track from Outbreak of Love " Ships of Freedom" refers in the lyrics " Jets fly low over the General Garden hotel at St Peters". The album was recorded in Megaphon Studio's in St Peters if I recall which is under the direct flight path of Sydney Airport. There is no way you would not be affected by aircraft noise in this location.
Funny side note - my band rehearsed at Vintage Sound Studio's at St Peters/Sydenham which is directly under the flight path of the airport. We used to record some basic 4 tracking in these rooms and at times between songs you would hear a 747 or Airbus thundering overhead and the whole building would shake..listening to the recording later you would hear the planes between songs which added some atomsphere to the recording- Just like what is recorded on the album....interesting comparison!

Chris.

From: blackwood_michael@hotmail.com
To: cverdich@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:39:14 -0200

Is this the version you're describing?  Because it seems to fit what you've said, but there's no plane noise at the end...  I'm trying to figure out if this came from the Oz single, or if it's someone's attempt to re-create that mix on their own using editing software.

thanks,
Mike

To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au
From: cverdich@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:43:33 +0000

The original Truganini version was a limited release if I can recall. The song arrangement was identical to the later release but the ending was shorter and finished on the mandolin/guitar note "E" i think without having the outro version ' and the world won't stand still' being sung. The original version is more dramatic I feel than the later and there was an outcry from the some local aboriginal parties saying the song was trashing the original Truganini and saying she was the last Tasmanian Aboriginal when in fact she was not...so the band made the single a limited edition and released the longer version on ESM. There was also 2 re-mix versions of this song released that same year - both entitled "Road Train Versions" and had more of a dance feel more than anything.
Of interest is the plane noise at the end of the recording - I am guessing its a 747 flying over St Peters!!! where the album was recorded.

Hope that helps.

Chris.

To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au
From: blackwood_michael@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:58:01 -0200

Hey, everyone.  I'm hoping someone here can help me solve a minor riddle...

According to the sticker on the Oz release of the Truganini single (seen here http://www.discogs.com/Midnight-Oil-Truganini/release/641269 ), "This disc contains the first mix undertaken by the band for Truganini which was withdrawn and replaced by a longer version" .  Supposedly it was 4:25 in length, as opposed to the 5:11 version on the E&S&M album.  The UK single's packaging also refers to the song as being 4:25 in length, but the actual length of the track on the UK CD is 4:58, which matches other international releases of the single.  Could someone with the Oz version of the single I mentioned above check to see if there really is a version of Truganini that is only 4:25 in length?  If not, how long is the version on the Oz single?

Thanks,
Mike