Midnight Oil

Subject: Nothing could be longer than a corrugated road
From: "Jeff and Jane Scott" <jscott@iinet.net.au>
Date: 30/07/2010, 11:41 am

G’day all

I’m now in Alice Springs, having travelled through the Dead Heart from Perth.

Some highlights to report:

Listening to “Gunbarrel Highway” while driving a section of road that I later worked out was actually once part of the original Gunbarrel Highway.  (And it’s true – nothing could be longer than a corrugated road!)

Visiting Warakurna – a surprisingly nice place to visit.  If anyone is ever driving this way and looking for an overnight stopover, definitely choose here over either Warburton or Docker River.  We didn’t actually stay at Warakurna ourselves as we camped in a bush spot out on the road instead but if you’re looking for a place with some facilities this is the one to choose.

Listening to “Dead Heart” while driving around Uluru.  I don’t know what it is, but it certainly made the song far more intense and has probably changed the way I hear it forever.

Playing “Dead Heart” on the 12-string while camped in sight of Uluru – haven’t played that song for years (and I had to work out the chords for the chorus again!) but just couldn’t stop playing it out here.

Driving down Luritja Road on the way to King’s Canyon – an absolute must-see if anyone is ever coming out here (the canyon, not the road!).

Plenty of other Oils songs on high rotation of course, along with Warumpi Band, Neil Murray, Goanna etc.

We have a blog going (when we are in places where we can get internet access of course!) at http://scottsontour.blinkweb.com/ - there’s some photos and stuff there too.

jeff…