Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: Is Peter still on the front bench?
From: Miron Mizrahi
Date: 21/07/2010, 10:23 am
To: Chris <seeker42@gmail.com>, Tom <tomspencer@eml.cc>, Powderworks <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Midnight Oil

I agree with you. it is a drawback of the Aussie system. If you look at the US system, the separation of legislative and executive is much cleaner. so you vote for a person when you vote for the executive. the govt ministers are not elected (though approved by those who are). then there is representative votes for the houses. so you voting for a republican rep. has nothing to do with you voting for a democrat senator and an independent president.

the other end of the spectrum is Israel where you don't (in reality) vote for a person at all. you vote for a party which publishes its ranking of candidates. if the party gets 25 seats, then candidates 1-25 are in.

ofcourse, both system, just like any man made thing, have their own problems

I don't think this drawback is necessarily inherent in the system but it definitely opens the door for this situation. and it can be avoided. if you rank each candidate then your pref. count, not the inter-party agreements. except that most people don't.

Miron

How could people get so unkind?