Midnight Oil

Subject: Why PGa sold out on values which we hold dear (or not) - NMOC (Break ref, but.)
From: "Tom" <tomspencer@eml.cc>
Date: 24/06/2010, 8:44 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Hi there.

Those who might identify with the left side of the French Revolution have often accused PGa of 'selling out' on the environment.  Today's likely removal of PM Kevin Rudd is a reminder of the power of the (NSW) Right of the ALP, stated in terms of another 'compassion' issue, asylum-seekers:

(taken from an ABC story - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/24/2935413.htm)

"Others in the party say it is the steady flow of asylum seekers that is killing the Government in marginal seats.

Last night Mr Rudd suggested he was not behind those decisions and suggested that, if he was removed, the party would lurch to the right chasing votes.

"I believe it is absolutely wrong for this country and absolutely wrong in terms of the values which we hold dear, to get engaged in some sort of race to the right in this country on the question of asylum seekers, I don't think that's the right thing to do," he said.

"That's the direction the Liberal Party would like to take us, under my leadership we will not be going in that direction."

Rudd had already started the 'Indian Ocean' solution and kept open the Christmas Island detention centre (despite it causing severe mental health problems), but it looks like things might be about to get even tougher for asylum-seekers looking to Australia for help.

Maybe Australians are just bored because we don't have a real crisis like a huge oil slick off and on the coast.

Give me a break ...