Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] NMOC - music file conversion.
From: Chris
Date: 10/03/2010, 9:05 am
To: Michael Blackwood
CC: Oils Powderworks <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Pretty much every free tool that can convert to MP3 uses LAME, so the minimum fuss method is probably LameXP, which is a fairly minimalist GUI for Lame. I also like DBpoweramp, but I think it enforces the technically-patent-encumbered nature of MP3, so it forces you to pay a fee to continue using MP3 encoding after 30 days.

If you don't need MP3 specifically, might I suggest AAC as a superior (higher quality for a given file-size) alternative? LameXP can deal with that, too, as can DBpoweramp.

- Chris

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Michael Blackwood <blackwood_michael@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hey Powderworkers!

I've been ripping wav files from some Oils gigs I have on CDR and editing them into "live b-sides", and now I'd like to convert them to mp3s.� Can anyone recommend an easy-to-use�free software download that would let me convert .wav and other audio formats to .mp3, and vice-versa?� Rather than just try random programs from Download.com, I figured I'd see if the audiophiles on the list had any suggestions...

Thanks,
Mike

Take your contacts everywhere. Try Messenger for mobile