Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] NMOC: Yucca Mountain Waste Dump-Looking Dead!
From: hotlittlejorge@yahoo.com
Date: 6/03/2010, 1:36 am
To: "Robert Daniels" <daniels1975@gmail.com>, powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, "Glitch Baby" <glitchbaby1976@yahoo.com>
CC: "Kate Adams" <kate@dnki.net>, "JCC" <jccuneo@bellsouth.net>, "david earle" <canadavros@yahoo.com.au>

Midnight Oil

As artists I believe Midnight Oil to be without peer. For twenty five years I have been able to celebrate that genius without wholly buying the political philosophies espoused by the band members, though I have always respected their tremendous integrity.

The first half of the iconic banner on 6th street in New York read "Midnight Oil Makes Us Dance," and whether I worry about the government in the same way as you, that's the first and most important thing about music.

I'd no more expect a reasonable adult to embrace every idea from Midnight Oil than those by John Mellencamp, Tom Morello, or Kid Rock. It has nothing to do with the fact that the boys were lightening in a bottle and made timeless records.

I almost envy those of you who can stand in line behind every political notion in Oils activities. I hope it allows you to enjoy the music that much more. For me it doesn't matter.

Not everything is politics. Thank goodness.

From: Robert Daniels <daniels1975@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 08:53:36 -0600
To: Glitch Baby<glitchbaby1976@yahoo.com>
Cc: Kate Adams<kate@dnki.net>; JCC<jccuneo@bellsouth.net>; david earle<canadavros@yahoo.com.au>; Powderworks<powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Not to start a widespread argument here, but I find it hard how somebody can enjoy listening to the Oils and think that Obama is left of Marx!� Do those folks not read the lyrics and understand where the Oils are coming from?

I knew somebody a few years ago who was a huge Oils fan and a raging Republican - seems kind of odd to me, but that's just my point of view.

Rob