Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] NMOC: Yucca Mountain Waste Dump-Looking Dead!
From: JCC
Date: 5/03/2010, 2:03 pm
To: Kate Adams
CC: Powderworks <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

A sad day - it was a great place for such storage. The alternative for the current waste is worse. True, transportation would always be an issue, but killing the site itself as not being capable of storage is beyond the pale.

NIMBY, a powerful senator, a left-of-Marx president and his hand picked head of the DOE did it in.

Some of you workers in the states may recall that the Oils brought some Anti-nuclear activists around with them on their last tour back in 2002. These folk were engaged in a campaign to stop a poorly-conceived and even more poorly-located nuclear waste depository in Nevada which would have received shipments from nuclear facilities around the country in a massive relocation of rather dangerous stuff the "green nuclear" people would rather you not think about.
Through the magic of Powderworks, I got connected with them over the waste transport issues, having spent some of my childhood years in a community that was frequently impacted by nuke shipments.
That repository - Yucca Mountain - will likely never receive one truckload of mess. Now that a real scientist is heading the DOE, he has filed paperwork to pull the plug: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/mar/04/yucca-foes-hail-historic-step/ <http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/mar/04/yucca-foes-hail-historic-step/>
... but you don't give in ...