Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] The Break : hillman ?
From: Stuart Tangye
Date: 29/01/2010, 10:26 am
To: winnie le pinguin <vive_les_ours@hotmail.com>, <cverdich@hotmail.com>, <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Re: [powderworks] The Break : hillman ?

Midnight Oil

Because he has relocated to Nashville.......

Cheers

Stu

Dr. Stuart Tangye

NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
Immunology and Inflammation Program
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
384 Victoria St
Darlinghurst.
Sydney. NSW. 2010.
AUSTRALIA

Phone       +61 2 9295 8455
Mobile      +61 (0) 413 390 306
Fax          +61 2 9295 8404
e-mail   s.tangye@garvan.org.au
http://www.garvan.org.au

i was wondering...

does someone know why they didn't take bones hillman for the bassplayer/singer ?
it would be only Oils members except garrett ^^

To: cverdich@hotmail.com; powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au
From: s.tangye@garvan.org.au
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:20:54 +1100
Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: The Break

Hi all

Here is a post I made on this list last November after seeing The Break play one of their Sydney warm-up shows prior to the Manly surf festival:

I actually got to see “The Break” at one of the Sydney warm-up shows last Friday (6th). This took place at a place called Notes Live @ Newtown; not a bad venue.

There’s no need to argue about who the lead singer is – the whole set were instrumentals!

I saw various incarnations of this “band” play twice as “Ebb Tide & The Shorebreakers” over the past 2 years - the first time DC (of Ghostwriters fame) was on bass; the second was the current line-up (ie Brian Ritchie on bass). At these pervious shows they played a mix of Oils songs (eg Generals, Wedding Cake Island, Trugannini, Helps me helps you) and classic surf instrumentals – Miserlou by Dick Dale being the stand out.

This time around all songs played were originals (I think) - although one did sound a lot like Gary Glitters Rock & Roll part 2 but I somehow don’t think it was this track. They also played Wedding Cake Island, which I guess can be considered an original given that it is a Rotsey/Moginie composition. They played for nearly 1 hour – which was great given they were the first on of a 3 band show. Some of the songs had a real surf groove, while others were pretty much out and out “Rock”.

Interestingly, much of the in-between song banter was conducted by Brian Ritchie; while Rob Hirst still did plenty of talking to the audience.

They mentioned that this was their first show (at least as The Break) - I thought they were great. Apparently there is a record coming out in the new year (I think that was covered in an earlier e-mail). Looking forward to more from this group in 2010!

I don’t think there’ll be too much room for Oils tracks – if they play all the tracks off the upcoming album, plus Wedding Cake Island (which I suspect will be a regular in the set list), that will probably be about it. But of course I only saw them play support so there was no encore – with sufficient encouragement by the audience, who knows what may be played then!

Cheers

Stu

Dr. Stuart Tangye

NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
Immunology and Inflammation Program
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
384 Victoria St
Darlinghurst.
Sydney. NSW. 2010.
AUSTRALIA

Phone       +61 2 9295 8455
Mobile      +61 (0) 413 390 306
Fax          +61 2 9295 8404
e-mail   s.tangye@garvan.org.au <http://garvan.org.au/>
http://www.garvan.org.au <http://www.garvan.org.au/>

After seeing Ebb Tide and the Shorebreakers back at the Basement 2 years ago, same line up as the Break - they did play Truganini ( Jim vocals) Generals ( Rob ) , Helps me Help you ( Rob ) and Wedding Cake Island.]
I imagine ' Gravel Rash ' might surface - not sure if I have heard that live before. Kozciusko would also be a possibilty.

There would at least have to be 2 oils songs in there to stop the riots!!!

Chris.

CC: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au <http://yahoogroups.com.au/>
From: seeker42@gmail.com <http://gmail.com/>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:39:57 +1100

Apparently they played Wedding Cake Island at (at least) one of the gigs leading up to the Manly Surf Festival. I wouldn't be surprised if it became a regular.

I too will be interested to see how things go on the vocals front - "15 mostly instrumental tracks" probably means "15 tracks with a light sprinkle of vocal interjections throughout" but it could also mean "14 tracks with a light sprinkle of vocals and 1 where Rob/Jim really wanted to sing".

As for Oils tracks, I wouldn't be surprised if Generals got broken out from time to time, and maybe Kosciusko if they're not feeling self-conscious about playing Oils songs.

I can imagine Bells and Horns returning, too, but perhaps in a reworked form that slims down the intro a bit.

- Chris

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 3:32 PM, david earle <canadavros@yahoo.com.au <http://yahoo.com.au/> > wrote:

Just wondering - when they play live, the Break will have a few old surfy Oils tunes to choose from (Wedding Cake Island being the most obvious) Any other suggestions - Bell and horns in the back of beyond would be a goodie, though it would necessitate them breaking the lacovocal rule and doing Pete's semi-spoken intro.

Cheers
David

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now <http://au.rd.yahoo.com/movies/mailtagline/*http://au.movies.yahoo.com/session-times/> .

Start searching NOW! Search for properties that match your lifestyle! <http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157631292/direct/01/>