Midnight Oil

Subject: Media Release: 20 01 2010 - 3 Parts Oil / 1 Part Femmes makes THE BREAK! (Industry)
From: "Frosty !" <frostyvesper@gmail.com>
Date: 20/01/2010, 9:45 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Frost, Chris I" <Chris.Frost@cba.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:40:00 +1100
Subject: FW: Media Release: 20 01 2010 - 3 Parts Oil / 1 Part Femmes
makes THE BREAK! (Industry)
To: Frosty! <frostyvesper@gmail.com>

Media release for announcement: Wednesday January 20th 2010

3 Parts Oil / 1 Part Femmes makes THE BREAK!

It's a union that will delight music fans, surf rats, and festival
goers alike. Midnight Oil's Rob Hirst, Jim Moginie and Martin Rotsey
have joined with bass player Brian Ritchie of US group Violent Femmes
to form a new surf rock band called THE BREAK. The new band releases
its debut album ‘Church Of The Open Sky’ on Friday April 16th on the
Bombora label through MGM.

THE BREAK will kick things off with a short stint of gigs in Sydney
and surrounds with further dates elsewhere to follow in the coming
months:
Thursday February 18th - The Harp, Wollongong – tickets from
www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak<http://www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak>
or www.oztix.com.au<http://www.oztix.com.au/>
Friday February 19th - Fisho’s, Manly – tickets from
www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak<http://www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak>
or www.moshtix.com.au<http://www.moshtix.com.au/>     and moshtix
outlets
Sunday February 21st - The Annandale, Sydney – tickets from tickets
from www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak<http://www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak>
or www.annandalehotel.com<http://www.annandalehotel.com/>

THE BREAK’s album is a unique blend of pulsating psycho surf rock
tunes featuring 15 mostly instrumental tracks. The bulk of the album
tracks are named after legendary surf breaks. ‘Cylinders’, the first
single from the album, was in fact one of the first tracks created,
and will be available from iTunes Australia from Tuesday February 9th.
World renowned producer Nick Launay, who of course has worked on many
Midnight Oil releases and numerous other renowned acts including
Silverchair, Nick Cave and PiL, took ‘Cylinders’ to the mixing desk in
a Los Angeles studio to create a mix highlighting the driving guitars
and a pounding back beat synonymous with both the surf rock genre and
the classic Oils sound.

So how did THE BREAK come about? Despite constant speculation from
fans as to what the remaining Oils would do next, it wasn’t until
after the Sound Relief benefit gig in Melbourne last year that Hirst,
Moginie and Rotsey finally got together in the studio with the aim of
forming a new band with a new identity. The onstage magic that had
been the engine room of Midnight Oil had proved a force too powerful
to deny. These three Oils were burning to play together again.

Both Midnight Oil and Violent Femmes have surfing influences - The
Oils began their career on Sydney's Northern Beaches in the sweat
filled environs of the Narrabeen Antler whilst the Femmes, though
famous for mega hits like 'Blister in the Sun', often flavoured their
individual folk punk sound with surf-rock guitar. The two bands have
an affinity having toured together in the States. Songwriters Hirst
and Moginie who co-wrote most of Midnight Oil’s tracks had swag of
ideas but wanted to cut a new twist. Bones Hillman, the Oils bass
player since 1987 had moved overseas so they rang long time friend
Brian Ritchie who had recently relocated to Australia and asked him to
join them in the studio. Warming up by jamming on old favourites like
Link Wray's 'Rumble' (Pulp Fiction) the sound coming out of their amps
was already taking on an energy of its own. The synergy was instant,
electrifying and THE BREAK was born.

Throwing lyrics out the window the new band has written 15 great
tracks that push the boundaries within the traditional framework of
the surf music genre: guitars, drums, bass, and keyboards. Each player
a master in their field, they’ve found common ground in a range of
obscure musical influences. The sound created is fresh, exciting and
cutting edge, it’s a brilliant fusion of surf guitar rock but with a
modern bend - and an unmistakable whiff of Oil.

Jim Moginie explains, “We realised that we could just be an
instrumental band with vocals added occasionally and we could use surf
guitars or weird sounds for the melody. I think of Mogwai, the Mermen
or Decoder Ring. Instead of a lead singer those bands just rely on the
power of the players and the dynamics of the music. We've found the
lack of vocals opens up all sorts of possibilities in the music that
we couldn't have even imagined in our wildest dreams. Getting Brian in
was important because he's such a strong ensemble player and catalyst.
There were shivers up the spine at our first rehearsal, the sound was
just enormous."

THE BREAK’s music is an undeniable force, propelling and mesmerizing,
it pulls you in like a rip, swim with it, surrender to it or simply
lay back in it and enjoy the ride!

Catch THE BREAK live at the following shows:

Thursday February 18th - The Harp, Wollongong – tickets from
www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak<http://www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak>
or www.oztix.com.au<http://www.oztix.com.au/>
Friday February 19th - Fisho’s, Manly – tickets from
www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak<http://www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak>
or www.moshtix.com.au<http://www.moshtix.com.au/>     and moshtix
outlets
Sunday February 21st - The Annandale, Sydney – tickets from tickets
from www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak<http://www.lovepolice.com.au/thebreak>
or www.annandalehotel.com<http://www.annandalehotel.com/>

THE BREAK – debut album – ‘Church Of The Open Sky’ - available Friday

THE BREAK
Rob Hirst – drums and percussion
Jim Moginie – guitars and keyboards
Martin Rotsey – guitar
Brian Ritchie – bass and vocals

www.thebreak.net.au<http://www.thebreak.net.au/>
www.myspace.com/thebreakau<http://www.myspace.com/thebreakau>

FOR MEDIA ENQUIRIES, please contact (please do not publish these
contact details):
Publicity:  jones PR - Paula ‘jonesy’ – jones PR – Tel: 02 4963 5756
email: jones@jonespr.com.au<mailto:jones@jonespr.com.au>
Radio: Entertainment Marketing Group - Chris Moss 0414 402 664 or
Nicole Salisbury 0417 247 545

Bookings: Love Police – Brian Taranto and Andy Kent –
thebreak@lovepolice.com.au<mailto:thebreak@lovepolice.com.au>
Label: www.bombora.net.au<http://www.bombora.net.au/>    MGM

-ends-

Paula 'jonesy' Jones - Director & Publicist -  jones PR... PO Box 101
Merewether, NSW, Australia, 2291 - Tel: 02 49 63 5756 & Mobile: 0417
232540 - Email-
jones@jonespr.com.au<blocked::blocked::mailto:jones@jonespr.com.au> or
office email address:-
office@jonespr.com.au<blocked::blocked::mailto:office@jonespr.com.au>
This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended addressee, please advise the sender & delete its contents
from your system. If you do not wish to receive information from jones
PR - please respond with Please Remove in the subject header & we will
remove you from our database. Thank You. Please consider the
environment before printing this email
www.johnbutlertrio.com<blocked::http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/>
       www.thejbseed.com<blocked::http://www.thejbseed.com/>
        www.homebake.com.au<blocked::http://www.homebake.com.au/>
       www.karnivool.com.au<blocked::http://www.karnivool.com.au/>
          www.qwb.com.au<blocked::http://www.qwb.com.au/>
  www.noreastdining.com.au<blocked::http://www.noreastdining.com.au/>

************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE *****************************
This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information which may be
confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by
return email, do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from
your system. Unless
specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice
or commitment by the sender
or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from
us, please reply to this
e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.