Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: The Break
From: Stuart Tangye
Date: 15/11/2009, 8:23 pm
To: dingus_mcgee <dingus_mcgee@yahoo.com>, <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Re: [powderworks] Re: The Break

Midnight Oil

I actually got to see “The Break” at one of the Sydney warm-up shows last Friday (6th). This took place at a place called Notes Live @ Newtown; not a bad venue.

There’s no need to argue about who the lead singer is – the whole set were instrumentals!

I saw various incarnations of this “band” play twice as “Ebb Tide & The Shorebreakers” over the past 2 years - the first time DC (of Ghostwriters fame) was on bass; the second was the current line-up (ie Brian Ritchie on bass). At these pervious shows they played a mix of Oils songs (eg Generals, Wedding Cake Island, Trugannini, Helps me helps you) and classic surf instrumentals – Miserlou by Dick Dale being the stand out.

This time around all songs played were originals (I think) - although one did sound a lot like Gary Glitters Rock & Roll part 2 but I somehow don’t think it was this track. They also played Wedding Cake Island, which I guess can be considered an original given that it is a Rotsey/Moginie composition. They played for nearly 1 hour – which was great given they were the first on of a 3 band show. Some of the songs had a real surf groove, while others were pretty much out and out “Rock”.

Interestingly, much of the in-between song banter was conducted by Brian Ritchie; while Rob Hirst still did plenty of talking to the audience.

They mentioned that this was their first show (at least as The Break) - I thought they were great. Apparently there is a record coming out in the new year (I think that was covered in an earlier e-mail). Looking forward to more from this group in 2010!

Cheers

Stu

Dr. Stuart Tangye

NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
Immunology and Inflammation Program
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
384 Victoria St
Darlinghurst.
Sydney. NSW. 2010.
AUSTRALIA

Phone       +61 2 9295 8455
Mobile      +61 (0) 413 390 306
Fax          +61 2 9295 8404
e-mail   s.tangye@garvan.org.au
http://www.garvan.org.au

uh oh, i see the need for a dedicated front man developing...