Midnight Oil

Subject: Pete's Popularity
From: "dmloosemoose@btinternet.com" <dmloosemoose@btinternet.com>
Date: 13/08/2009, 4:49 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Hi All

Haven't posted for a while - previously short term contributor as 'Oilmoose'.

I'm from London and recently made my first ever trip to Australia which was fantastic. A fabulous place to visit, could see Humpbacks from my balcony in Manly first day I was there and many an awesome sight followed.

Btw, Australia surely leads the world in the production of squawky birds.

It was interesting to watch a bit of TV and see what a pummelling Pete is getting. Its true that in most places politicians get it in the neck and Pete's profile and outspoken views were always going to attract attention, especially as he now appears to advocate some views at odds with those he once so stridently put.

I'm interested to know how much faith other Oils fans retain in Pete, what people feel the endgame is and how much of the ridicule is reasonable and how much is the Australian right joyfully sticking it to one of their tormentors.

I admired the decision Pete made to try and change things from the inside, with the inevitable uncomfortable compromise that brings. Has it yet been worth it though? Would you be happy with him in Redfern, or Alice?

Cheers
David