Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Bob Geldof to re-record Beds are Burning for climate change campaign
From: Stephan Jänsch
Date: 27/06/2009, 4:37 pm
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

I don't know if I should laugh or cry...

Stephan

Tammy schrieb:

The complete article can be found at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/26/cannes-lions-bob-geldof-climate-change <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/26/cannes-lions-bob-geldof-climate-change>

Bob Geldof, who collaborated with Michael Jackson <http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/michaeljackson> on the 1985 Live Aid song We Are The World, paid tribute to the deceased pop star today as he unveiled a musical coalition that will *record a new version of Midnight Oil's Beds are Burning as part of a global campaign to tackle **climate change* <http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/climate-change>*.*

Geldof will work with artists including Duran Duran on the initiative, unveiled at the Cannes Lions International  Advertising <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/advertising> Festival. *The plan to record a new version of Beds are Burning **marks the launch of former UN secretary general Kofi Annan's Campaign for Climate Justice <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/29/hava-handle-kofi-annan-ads> **to raise awareness of the disproportionate affect of global warming on the world's poorest communities.*

The campaign's aim is to galvanise the global public to put pressure on world leaders to take stringent climate change measures at the critical United Nations summit in Copenhagen in December <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/23/hopenhagen-climate-change-campaign> to secure a new treaty to replace the Kyoto protocol.
One feature of the campaign will be a We Are The World-style collaborative single, featuring artists including Geldof, Duran Duran and actress Milla Jovovich, recording a reworded version of Midnight Oil's 1987 protest song Beds are Burning. *The Australian band has reworked some of the lyrics to make it directly relevant to the climate change issue.*

The single will be released as a free music download from September  both to raise awareness and act as a "giant digital petition" by those who download it.