Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: 13th March Canberra Filming
From: RM
Date: 17/03/2009, 1:36 pm
To: "powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au" <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

I've been corrected off-list.  I don't know what is airable, but the gist is:
"several of us spoke to [xxx]. [yyy] pulled the plug on the [zzz] deal and [xxx] shot this for the band. [xxx] said that it may be released but the band needs to see it first. ... etc"

"It's good to hope."
 RM

RM wrote:
There was a flurry of activity prior to the concerts to urgently try to
organize videoing.  This was partially documented on the PW list.
Initially it was thought we (PW) would be permitted to do an amateur
shoot.  Then a commercial deal was struck and the amateur shoot was
canceled.

Here's my understanding of what ensued.  What becomes of the material
shot by the team at Canberra is in the same category as the material
shot at Manly (same crew/deal involved).  It is all most probably the
pride and joy of a low-access personal collection at present (probably
the band/office and the video team have copies), and it may eventually
be converted (cut, compressed, groomed, spliced, trimmed, etc) into
something that all the parties including Sony can agree to, whence it
may appear in shrink wrap at JB HiFi for $30.   It has to be considered
viable as a commercial project for that to proceed.  Until such it will
probably not escape from the safe, unless someone in the picture relaxes
their control of the material and lets something uncommercial and
indiscriminate happen.

I guess if someone came and videoed my playing I'd be pretty sure I'd
want to have some control of the material - as frequently said about the
Oils attitude: to ensure quality.  Regrettably it's not my choice to
make, therefore not my ethical/moral dilemma to agitate.  Tempting
though, given we almost had a non-commercial crew installed.  With
Office approval, it would have been just released to the public domain
for broad public enjoyment.  Perhaps the crew (also PW members/lurkers)
might still put some material forward of the Manly and Canberra shows,
free of commercial constraints?  It's good to hope.

Cheers
 RM

Dayne Dale wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Pete made that comment in relation to Sound Relief, not the warm-ups.

--- In powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, Funky Wrench <funky_wrench@...> wrote:

So I noticed a whole bunch of cameras at the show and Pete at one stage said something about being able to watch it if you have cable. Has anyone seen any adds on Max or the like? Can anyone record it to DVD?

from Steve