Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Aaaargh! No Oils for me either :-(
From: RM
Date: 12/03/2009, 10:46 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

I love this anecdote, I've probably told it before ...

Once, while the Oils were in full swing, I was setting up to buy tickets for a concert in my home town.  I enthusiastically asked some of my older brother's urban bikie mates if they were going, as they were in my view "real hard core".  They eschewed the idea.  "That's a rip off.  They used to be good, but their new material is just commercial rubbish.  We used to pay a fifth of that to see them in smokey pub rooms, where they were really stripped back and raw and their songs meant something.  Their best days are behind them."

Now I'll fill in the blanks...

Once, while the Oils were in full swing [1982], I was setting up to buy tickets for a concert [10-1 release] in my home town [Brisbane, Festival Hall?].  I enthusiastically asked some of my older brother's urban bikie mates if they were going, as they were in my view "real hard core" [still accurate].  They eschewed the idea.  "That's [$25] a rip off.  They used to be good [up till Place Without a Postcard], but their new material [10-1 on] is just commercial rubbish.  We used to pay a fifth [$5!!!!] of that to see them in smokey pub rooms [max head count 50-100!!!!], where they were really stripped back and raw and their songs meant something [ponder pretty much anything from those first discs].  Their best days are behind them.[!!!!!!]"

Sigh.  And I missed the purity of those embryonic days by just a few years and an absence of needed sub-culture credibility, being a geek ...

No Oils for me this time either.  The gap now is called Discipline.

"Step 5: Eat and Enjoy"
 RM

Jeremy Bauer wrote:

... It's hard discovering exactly what you would or wouldn't pay ...

From: Terry Johnson

I, sadly, could not raise the $4000US to make the trip from home to there.

_._,___