Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: Greed is --G-o-o-d-- Acceptable
From: "hampastie" <hampastie@yahoo.com.au>
Date: 26/02/2009, 2:24 pm
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

--- In powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, RM <m2k9@...> wrote:

I'm loving this thread ... relativity and market readiness is all
you
need to validate any form of profiteering.

Obviously we'd all pay hundreds to see them!!!!!
So also would a dying man in a desert pay thousands for a glass of
water.  Market willingness to pay doesn't make it "right".
And if the guy next to you offers the dying man a glass of water
for
$1000, offering him one for $800 (that's cost you 10c) is somehow
ethical?  Market relativity doesn't make profiteering "right"
either.

The original point was entirely an ethics question, not a pragmatic
proposal:  It's a benefit concert for the burnt out Victorians,
stating
"All profits go to ...".  Making profits on anything associated
with it
(eg: tee-shirts) is ethically dubious since it's declared "All
Profits
...", so how is it ethical to make a tidy profit on selling tix to
the
rabid punters to access what is ultimately a staging point for a
non-profit benefit?

As I said, it's an entirely theoretical question anyway, it
probably is
cost price for putting together a one-off with fly-ins.

[Launch anti-missile ordinance now ...]

I just love analytical ethics ... get over it.  Of course it's a
bargain!  The phrase "Once in a lifetime opportunity ..." is valid.

:)

By the way the original poster of the thread also said:  "Hey guess
what...my town caught fire 2 days ago...you would have seen it on
the
news. It was that huge fire in the dandenongs, including Upwey and
belgrave south.  [snip]", so there's some fairly reasonably
proximity to
the actual context in the original complaint.  Me? I'm just an
amateur
ethics philosopher, so I weighed in.   No valid context here.

Cheers
 RM

All I know is there's many atime Ive been in the Oils Mosh and would
have paid $800 for a glass of water (ie Closing of The Stage Door
Tavern in Sydney)