Midnight Oil

Subject: peter and the bushfires
From: Endurance Dancer
Date: 15/02/2009, 3:42 pm
To: powderworks , brucewcameron@yahoo.com

well my darling, there was magnificent letter in The Age from the head of the fireys union stating that fires of this magnitude are now a 1 in 5 year occurance instead of a 1 in 50 year, due to global warming.

I live in the beautiful dandenong ranges, 15 kms from the Bunyip fires, our beautiful lush wet rainforests are now bone dry and shrivelled up due to the heatwave, a tinderbox waiting....
we are all edgy.

Peter MUST at ALL COSTS reduce CO2 emmissions NOW! This govt is complacent on climate change and are taking a soft stance. We have to have a 40% cut in emmissions to alleviate catastrphics effects.

What I friggen hate are the locals around me who are now chopping down their beautiful old gums that grace and protect the paddocks from a myriad of problems such as erosion, salination and provide shelter for our animals and livestock. My neighbour got out his chainsaw and said.."Do you want to die because of a few trees on the paddock?'

We will, as a planet,  die a longer slower death because dickheads are now removing more trees.
We live in regional areas beacause we like trees, if you are afraid of trees, move to Marrickville! (Or Brunswick now that Im in melbourne)
In case anyone asks, we are safe, the CFA had a town meeting telling us that we must be alert but this side of the mountain is safe.

This land must change this land must burn..........

"We will ride, ride, ride one more mile...Let's Ride!"

From: "dnkimom"
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 02:55:59 -0000
To: <powderworks@ yahoogroups. com.au>
As someone who is still positively irrationally phobic of wildfires
after fleeing one at the age of 5, I'm totally horrified at what
happened to these people and their homes and families and pets and
lives. I'd like to say that I can't imagine ... but I can still
remember what a burnt out neighborhood smells like.

That said, it will be interesting to see how Pete handles this, or if
he's totally been shut up. This is not just a case of arsonists and
poor communication - this is a major scale catastrophe of
environmental management. Pete's going to have to answer for that,
despite Rudd attempting to portray it as "we did the best we could"
and "force of nature" and "arson terrorists". That forest was a
fucking powderworks! The fire lighters merely tossed in their two sticks.

Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more.