Midnight Oil

Subject: Re:Blue Sky Mining
From: "Kirk, Lachlan" <lachlan.kirk@railcorp.nsw.gov.au>
Date: 25/11/2008, 1:03 pm

Workers

Does anyone have any thoughts about the sound on Blue Sky Mining?

Yup.  It is consistent throughout, if a little over produced.

I like it and it has good songs, but I have always wished that the
productions and sound wasn't so polished. I would really like if it was
a bit more raw. Something like the albums from early eighties or Spices
and Deceases.

Yeah agreed...it is extremely polished a-la Red Sails and Diesel however everything from 10-1 through to and including self titled Ghosties with the exception of Species is very polished.  We then have ESM, Fuzz, Second Skin which are all a little rough around the edges.  ESM and Place remain my fave albums.  The flip side is Breathe which although a better album imho than Redneck deserved to sound much better than it does.

Blue Sky Minding was produced by Warne Livesey, and I read somewhere
that he wanted this album to sound smooth and policed. (He produced
Diesel and Dust also, and that album sounds much better, not so
polished like BSM.) I wonder how the BSM album would have sounded with
Nick Launay who produced 10-1, Red Sails and the Dead Heart track in
1986. Maybe it wouldn't have sold so much, or maybe it would have, but
sounded better (IMOO)

Diesel and BSM are very similar in sound imho..as polished if you like as each other.  Both sound great if a little over produced.  The lads went back to Launay for the completely orsm ESM

best,
Bugsy

Bjorn

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information that is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient and may be subject to copyright. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the e-mail and its attachments from your system. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. Any opinion expressed in this e-mail and any attachments is not an opinion of RailCorp unless stated or apparent from its content. RailCorp is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or any attachments. RailCorp will not incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly as a result of the recipient accessing any of the attached files that may contain a virus.