Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: SPAM(10.3) [powderworks] remastered albums
From: Stephan Jänsch
Date: 22/11/2008, 5:02 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Hi,

I too purchased the remasters and they are certainly an improvement,
especially the 10-1. However, could anyone who purchased it give a
closer listen to 'Progress'? To me it seems that the rhythm guitar is
much too low in volume compared to the original. I tend to suspect an
error might have occurred in the mixdown process. Can anyone confirm my
impression?

Cheers,

Stephan

par.lydmark@kustobsar.se schrieb:

Hi Bjorn,

All albums and EP:s released before Diesel & Dust were recently remastered. So far they are only available as downloads (earlier this autumn only through Itunes, but maybe they are available elsewhere now as well), but midnightoil.com states that they will eventually be released on CD as well. We have not seen any signs of it yet, so I guess it will take a while (if it happens).

I recently downloaded all remasters from Itunes and they really sound fantastic. Some people will tell you it's better to wait for the eventual CD releases since the compressed audio format used in the Itunes files will make it sound worse than the original CDs, however that's not true. It's a huge difference from the original releases on CD/LP, and the sound quality of the remasters are superior. And since the price on Itunes for all these downloads (five albums, two EPs) only sum up to less than 500 svenska kronor (I guess you have a feeling for what that means in norska kronor since you live next to Sweden), I really recommend all Midnight Oil fans to buy these downloads now - and then, if they really make it to CD and you really want the new packaging, buy the CDs as well (maybe they come with extra material like the D&D remaster). The improved sound quality of these remastered albums are simply too nice to wait for.

Now, the only thing I miss is a remaster of Blue Sky Mining. For Earth&Sun&Moon and more recent releases a remaster would make very little difference I think, but if you compare the remasterd tracks from Blue Sky Mining on the 20,000W RSL collection with the original BSM CD/LP, there is a big difference. I have not heard anything of a BSM remaster, but a similar package as the D&D remaster including Black Rain Falls on a bonus DVD would be prefect for the BSM remaster.

/Par