Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: Trading materials ... was "Bootlegs"
From: "hooperadrianr" <hooperadrianr@yahoo.com>
Date: 1/10/2008, 10:02 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

I must admit, I'm a bit confussed.

Didn't we just have a fairly lengthy discussion on this site in the
past few weeks about trying to ascertain whether the '81 Tanelorn
festival was filmed or recorded?  Didn't that discussion spin off from
a question about the existence of recordings (ie bootlegs) from '76
%'77?  Haven't there been countless offers to "weed" & "seed" booltegs
through this group (including obvious fan compilations like the
Anthoilogy vids)?  Do we not think for a second that if any of these
as yet unavailable shows suddenly surfaced we wouldn't all be
clamoring to get our hands on copies?

I agree, the copying and trading of commercially available releases is
a contraband topic and not condoned, but come on, weeded bootlegs have
been distributed through this list.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory but I am confused.  Could you please
clarify?  Thanks

Adrian

--- In powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, RM <m2k8@...> wrote:

Hi,
Welcome to Powderworks.

This is not a bootleg list.  If it becomes one, that activity will be
closed down and someone else can take the legal risks of running such a
thing somewhere else.
There are numerous music industry insiders on this list.  If you
announce that you are a bootlegger, you are painting a target on
yourself.  A laser-guided missile target.
This is a list for discussing and tracking the life and times of
Midnight Oil, the band and the individuals who were in it, and finding
out what happened, what was available, and what anything means or might
have meant (about MO songs or from a MO perspective).

That said, you may get some replies off list about your request.
Sometimes people trade recordings of live shows that are/were not
available under any commercial arrangement.  The legality of that has
been agonized over and never resolved, even with ambiguous comments
from
the band members themselves.  Trading commercial materials is
considered
a contraband topic on this list.  Trading non-commercial materials is
considered to be "at individuals' own risk".  If we ever get a
clarification from the industry, we will act on it to the best of our
ability.

Numerous people on this list have prized recordings of live shows, some
of them from insiders, some from audience tapes.  I'm not sure if that
is what you were talking about. Perhaps you can clarify?

RM

yveslefloch wrote:
Hello,

i would like to know how it is possible to find bootlegs from
Midnight
oil. Here in France, it is not easy to find something about my
favourite band.
thanks a lot for your answers.
Yves