Midnight Oil

Subject: Indie Music in Brisbane, Oz
From: "tr_espen" <tomspencer@eml.cc>
Date: 6/09/2008, 9:37 pm
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Dear Brisbane Powdies

Next Sat'dee night (13 Sept) there's three bands of note playing at the
Valley Fiesta:

Street stage
5-6pm is "Numbers Radio".  They supported Jim and the Family Dog about a
month ago at "Sideshow Valley".  I recommended them on the basic of
their doing some great guitar work and their generally Oilsy
earnestness.  Turns out they've also won some Triple J Unearthed prize
or commendation.  Raw talent.  The J's  Richard Kingsmill gives them a 4
out 5, saying that one particular track "swings like a bunch of
bananas".

6-7pm is  "The Boat People".   They're originally from Warwick, 2-3hours
west of Bris-vegas, which is perhaps far enough away to get a
"Byrds-eye" distance and perspective.  The perfect "afters" to Numbers
Radio; melodic, alternative rock/pop.  I recall seeing them about a year
and a half ago, I still remember that their tunes are really pretty and
thoughtful.  They've been touring O/S or are just about to go there.

China Town Mall stage
7.15-8.20pm is "The Ups and Downs".  An older Brisbane band.  They wrote
what is arguably THE pop song of the '80s - "The Living Kind" (any other
contenders, Powdies?) - much joy and longing.  Can't wait to see what
they do with an entire hour.  They played tightly, I recall, at "Pig
City", a few months back, commemorating 20 years since the Queensland
Police shut down "The Saints" mid-concert, mid-Bjelke-Petersen years.

The End of Fashion", a Perth mob who are/were mentioned on Jim M's
website - they finish proceedings at 9.30pm.