Midnight Oil

Subject: Jim Moginie and the Family Dog
From: "tr_espen" <tomspencer@eml.cc>
Date: 17/08/2008, 9:46 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

Dear Powdies

JaTFD played at the 4ZZZ Radiothon last night, at the Jubilee Hotel in
Brisbane, headlining "Sideshow Valley" (The farmers' Exhibition, or
"The Ekka" with Sideshow Alley, animal and cake displays, many
fast-food haunts, and many, many, sample bags and other dangers to
one's wallet was on nearby at the Ekka Showgrounds.)  The venue was a
marquee at the back of The Jube, covered with hay (as befits the Ekka,
or maybe to just make the slate tiles less slippery?)

I arrived at about 8pm.  There must have been a couple of hundred
people there.  Big projector screen at the back of the tent, with
surfing vids.  Bar stools and high tables on one side and towards the
back.  Hay everywhere, up over your shoes unless you dug out a little
hole, or "tagged" his own initials in it, as did one punter.  No
beer-battered chips.  Nice toilets.  "The Jube" is often supporting
live music, particularly radio 4ZZZ which has a long and glorious
history of fighting for the underdog and against a crypto-fascist (a
big word for a small man) called Sir Joh-Bjelke Petersen in the 1980s,
but it's sad to see that a bar out the front has been taken over by
pokies (with appropriate warning posters of course).

"Numbers Radio", a 3 piece were particularly good.  They began with
"Decide", and were rocky without being harsh.  Particularly liked the
thumping drumming, big guitar solo and Oilsy earnestness.

"Pineapples from the Dawn of Time" came on next(?).  Entertaining,
fuzzy, stuff, but they kinda' lost me when the lead singer asked if we
had been to the Ekka and bought show bags, and said we were all
"c.nts" because most of us hadn't.  A bit harsh, thought I.  Give that
man a microphone.

Tim Steward from "Screamfeeder" was on next.  Fast, melodic, pop that
was a contrast to the harder, more nuggety rock sound of "Numbers
Radio" a bit earlier".  At least two different beauties in the world.

Jim opened with a raucous version of "All Around the World".  He then
played lots of new stuff I'd never heard.  I recall it was pretty fast
and rocky, but it's hard to describe the initial manifestations of
these at-first-blurry objects.

He also played "Hey Little Dove"(? - it was late!), with injections of
harmonica, and an (unnecessary!) closing apology for "crimes against
harmonicas".

About 2/3rds the way through the gig, Jim said "This song is dedicated
to Peter Garrett", to which a woman at the front of the audience asked
"Who?", before Jim launched into "Stand your ground".  I'm sure Jim
laughed only because he was nervous.

"The Dog" seemed be tight and yet enjoying it, particularly the rhythm
guitarist.  Lots of special effects pedals, from which Jim often
extracted a sort of squeal that reminded me of the closing to the live
version of "No time for games" on the "Oils Live" compilation.  Jim
had no CDs for sale.  Pure class.  Or forgetful?

Overall, he opened with "All around the world", punctuated his set
with rockers like "Outer Space" and "Stand Your Ground", as well as
"Under the Overpass" where he really ripped into the vocals of the
"hallelujahs", but largely played new stuff.  He also played (closed?)
with "Say your prayers", interjecting in his own song with "this is a
song about East Timor", perhaps injecting some solemnity into a moment
where a blond thought that the front of Jim's gig was an awfully good
backdrop for photos of her and her beer tin.  But she eventually got
into the audible side of her photo-shoot and engaged in some musical
cavorting.

A source informs me that the bassman said a new album may be on the
way.  As mentioned above, Jim and the Dog seemed to have lots of new
stuff, which comprised most of the set, the first half at least.

People requested an encore.  Jim and the Dog looked like they were
thinking about obliging that request, but the mixing man obviously
thought otherwise, and brought up the background sounds.  Jim was left
to pack his bags (himself, alas).  Last I heard a punter was telling
him of good pubs to go to in Brisbane after the show.  Gavin, perhaps
you can fill in the blanks here?  Did Jim autograph your CDs/memorabilia?