Midnight Oil

Subject: Thanks gig reviewers!
From: Endurance Dancer
Date: 5/08/2008, 6:11 pm
To: Stuart Tangye <s.tangye@garvan.org.au>, powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au, chris verdich <cverdich@hotmail.com>

thanks guys for posting the gig review, i wish i could have gone but i was interstate and flat broke. I would have melted me thinks at hearing me boyfriend singing Truggers, oh well I;ll survive. Im gonna see him playing with Neil instead and im going to sing loudly along with all the songs.
"We will ride, ride, ride one more mile...Let's Ride!"

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:10:14 +1000Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide &
the Shorebreakers updateFrom: s.tangye@garvan.org.auTo: cverdich@hotmail.com;
quiltybuckle@yahoo.com.au; powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au; barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au

I concur with everything Chris said – it was a fantastic gig - but I can add
some more specifics.The “unannounced surf sounding” song at the end,
featuring Wayne G and sone on trumpet, was Misirlou – the great Dick Dale song
made very popular by being featured in the classic opening scene of, and on the
sound track of, Pulp Fiction. The first 2 instrumental tracks played were
“I’m branded” and “Penetration” - not sure if they are originals or
covers, but they were also played at the first Wayne Goodwin fundraiser at Mona
Vale last November.I thought this performance was better than the Mona Vale one
– Brian Ritchie mentioned that was “probably because they had actually
rehearsed”. He also mentioned that they (Ebb Tide..) may be doing some more
shows later in the year. Brian Ritchie lives in Oz now (Tasmania specifically)
so perhaps we will be seeing more from the Hirst/Moginie/Rotsey/Ritchie lineup
in the future. I think they make a great combo!Also, Jim Moginie will be
appearing at the Harp hotel in Tempe (Sydney) on August
14th.CheersStu******************************************************* Dr. Stuart
TangyeNHMRC Senior Research FellowImmunology and Inflammation ProgramGarvan
Institute of Medical Research384 Victoria StDarlinghurst. Sydney. NSW.
2010.AUSTRALIAPhone       +61 2 9295 8455Mobile      +61 (0) 413 390 306Fax
    +61 2 9295 8404e-mail
s.tangye@garvan.org.auhttp://www.garvan.org.au*******************************************************
 Ok - the gig in fuller review.Ebb Tide and the Shorebreakers were the last act
on. The Basement was sold out and it was standing room only.The show started off
with a unknown 'surf' tune with a very up paced ' Wedding Cake
Island " sound that showed Rob Hirst at his best. The kit was a shared kit
for the evening and he took considerable time setting it up properly and now I
know why as his hitting was harder than ever and the kit was on the verge of
destruction by the end of 2nd song!!Jim was in his " alas folk ' gear -
hat and long hair and Martin actually looks younger from when the last time I
saw them ? go figure.Wedding Cake Island was the first oils song to surface -
first time I have heard it live so I was happy! Sounded sensational They broke
into " When the Generals Talk " and Rob mentioned that the song was
not dedicated to Zimbabwe's General Magabe. The version was rocky and much
like the Ghostwriters version last year at that festival gig ( can't recall
the name ) The audience picked it up and everyone was moving and singing.Helps
Me Helps you followed with Rob on vocals. With its folk/rock drum beat the song
sounded awesome. Most the crowd knew this song and that helped the song
along.Remember the Basement is a small and intimate venue so with these guys
going off the atomosphere was amazing.The surprise of the night was Jim singing
' Truganini '. Sounded great and he did the song justice with many in
the crowd singing out " let it burn !"  in every chorus and the usuals
" Oiiiiilllllls " was heard at the end of each song - regardless of
whether it was an oils song or not. There was no harmonica part obviously but
you did'nt really miss it - sorry PG!Reference was made to PG not being
there and that he sent his regards. The bass player was Brian Ritchie from the
Violent Femmes who did a great job.The set finished on another surf sounding
song which was un-announced and Wayne Goodwin and son joined in on keyboards and
trumpet. When I saw the Trumpet come out I thought...ooh ooh _ Best of Both
Worlds, Power & the Passion but alas no...doh!The gig was for Wayne Goodwin
who is a popular musician but mostly unknown in mainstream circles. He was
diagnosed with cancer and is now in remission. The gig was in support of the
Luekemia foundation. The night also consisted of a raffle and auction of music
merchandise from famous artists - no Oil stuff unfortunately. other bands on the
night were Dog Trumpet made up of former members of Mental as Anything. Ross
Wilson from Daddy Cool/Mondo Rock, the Atlantics, Ian Cooper ( violinist ) and
comedians .For $50 a ticket - it was the best $$ spent by me in a long
time.There was no mention of any other shows being lined up. The next best thing
I guess is the Angry Tradesmen gig made up of Rob , Martin and Dom Turner ( the
backsliders ) at the Vanguard/Newtown on SEP, Check the Vanguard website for
tix. I guess Jim may turn up - who knows !!! http://www.thevanguard.com.au/ Hope
that gives you guys and girls a better review of the gig! ChrisChris. To:
powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:powderworks%40yahoogroups.com.au> ;
cverdich@hotmail.com <mailto:cverdich%40hotmail.com> ;
barbsbbq@yahoo.com.auFrom <mailto:barbsbbq%40yahoo.com.auFrom> :
quiltybuckle@yahoo.com.auDate <mailto:quiltybuckle%40yahoo.com.auDate> :
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 02:22:11 -0700Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the
Shorebreakers updateWas the gig as exciting as an Oils gig? Did they sound Oily?
Can someone post a fuller gig review? As Kramer on Seinfeld says "I have to
know"! And.........anyone going to see the guru of Oz music next week Neil
Murray at the Vanguard? Oooh i cant wait!"We will ride, ride, ride one more
mile...Let's Ride!"--- On Mon, 4/8/08, Barb BBQ
<barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au <mailto:barbsbbq%40yahoo.com.au> >
wrote:From: Barb BBQ <barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au
<mailto:barbsbbq%40yahoo.com.au> >Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide
& the Shorebreakers updateTo: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au
<mailto:powderworks%40yahoogroups.com.au> , "chris verdich"
<cverdich@hotmail.com <mailto:cverdich%40hotmail.com> >Received:
Monday, 4 August, 2008, 3:27 PMDoes anybody have any idea why the Angry
Tradesmen gigs aren't listed on their website? CheersBarbie Barb's
B.B.Q. {Barb Edwards}--- On Mon, 4/8/08, chris verdich <cverdich@hotmail.
com> wrote:From: chris verdich <cverdich@hotmail. com>Subject:
[powderworks] Ebb Tide & the Shorebreakers updateTo: powderworks@
yahoogroups. com.auReceived: Monday, 4 August, 2008, 1:31 PMHi EveryoneJust an
update for those not aware and who could not be at the Ebb Tide and the
Shorebreakers gig on Sunday 03AUG at the Basement in Sydney.Rob, Jim and Martin
were joined by the bass player from the Violent Femmes and played a set of 45 +
mins ( approx )Oil Songs covered were :Wedding Cake IslandWhen The Generals Talk
( Rob on vocal )Helps me Helps You ( Rob on Vocal )Truganini ( Jim on Vocal
)Plus some other surf songs . They were joined by Wayne Goodwin and his son on
keyboards and trumpet in one song.Other acts performing that night wereRoss
Wilson ( Daddy Cool & Mondo Rock )The AtlanticsDog Trumpetamong
others......Next Gig - Angry Tradesmen in Sep at the
_________ _Win a Nokia E51 with mobile Hotmail SMS alerts  http://www.livelife
.ninemsn. com.au/compIntro .aspx?compId= 4589[Non-text portions of this message
have been removed]Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search.
removed]Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search.

Yahoo!7 Groups Links

      Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com.au/search