Midnight Oil

Subject: RE: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the Shorebreakers update
From: chris verdich
Date: 5/08/2008, 10:28 am
To: <quiltybuckle@yahoo.com.au>, <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>, <barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au>

Ok - the gig in fuller review.
Ebb Tide and the Shorebreakers were the last act on. The Basement was sold out and it was standing room only.
The show started off with a unknown 'surf' tune with a very up paced ' Wedding Cake Island " sound that showed Rob Hirst at his best. The kit was a shared kit for the evening and he took considerable time setting it up properly and now I know why as his hitting was harder than ever and the kit was on the verge of destruction by the end of 2nd song!!
Jim was in his " alas folk ' gear - hat and long hair and Martin actually looks younger from when the last time I saw them ? go figure.
Wedding Cake Island was the first oils song to surface - first time I have heard it live so I was happy! Sounded sensational
They broke into " When the Generals Talk " and Rob mentioned that the song was not dedicated to Zimbabwe's General Magabe. The version was rocky and much like the Ghostwriters version last year at that festival gig ( can't recall the name ) The audience picked it up and everyone was moving and singing.
Helps Me Helps you followed with Rob on vocals. With its folk/rock drum beat the song sounded awesome. Most the crowd knew this song and that helped the song along.Remember the Basement is a small and intimate venue so with these guys going off the atomosphere was amazing.
The surprise of the night was Jim singing ' Truganini '. Sounded great and he did the song justice with many in the crowd singing out " let it burn !"  in every chorus and the usuals " Oiiiiilllllls " was heard at the end of each song - regardless of whether it was an oils song or not. There was no harmonica part obviously but you did'nt really miss it - sorry PG!
Reference was made to PG not being there and that he sent his regards.
The bass player was Brian Ritchie from the Violent Femmes who did a great job.
The set finished on another surf sounding song which was un-announced and Wayne Goodwin and son joined in on keyboards and trumpet. When I saw the Trumpet come out I thought...ooh ooh _ Best of Both Worlds, Power & the Passion but alas no...doh!
The gig was for Wayne Goodwin who is a popular musician but mostly unknown in mainstream circles. He was diagnosed with cancer and is now in remission. The gig was in support of the Luekemia foundation. The night also consisted of a raffle and auction of music merchandise from famous artists - no Oil stuff unfortunately.

other bands on the night were Dog Trumpet made up of former members of Mental as Anything. Ross Wilson from Daddy Cool/Mondo Rock, the Atlantics, Ian Cooper ( violinist ) and comedians .
For $50 a ticket - it was the best $$ spent by me in a long time.
There was no mention of any other shows being lined up. The next best thing I guess is the Angry Tradesmen gig made up of Rob , Martin and Dom Turner ( the backsliders ) at the Vanguard/Newtown on SEP, Check the Vanguard website for tix. I guess Jim may turn up - who knows !!!

http://www.thevanguard.com.au/

Hope that gives you guys and girls a better review of the gig!

Chris

Chris.

To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au; cverdich@hotmail.com; barbsbbq@yahoo.com.auFrom: quiltybuckle@yahoo.com.auDate: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 02:22:11 -0700Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the Shorebreakers update

Was the gig as exciting as an Oils gig? Did they sound Oily? Can someone post a fuller gig review? As Kramer on Seinfeld says "I have to know"! And.........anyone going to see the guru of Oz music next week Neil Murray at the Vanguard? Oooh i cant wait!"We will ride, ride, ride one more mile...Let's Ride!"--- On Mon, 4/8/08, Barb BBQ <barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au> wrote:From: Barb BBQ <barbsbbq@yahoo.com.au>Subject: Re: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the Shorebreakers updateTo: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, "chris verdich" <cverdich@hotmail.com>Received: Monday, 4 August, 2008, 3:27 PMDoes anybody have any idea why the Angry Tradesmen gigs aren't listed on their website? CheersBarbie Barb's B.B.Q. {Barb Edwards}--- On Mon, 4/8/08, chris verdich <cverdich@hotmail. com> wrote:From: chris verdich <cverdich@hotmail. com>Subject: [powderworks] Ebb Tide & the Shorebreakers updateTo: powderworks@ yahoogroups. com.auReceived: Monday, 4 August, 2008, 1:31 PMHi EveryoneJust an update for those not aware and who could not be at the Ebb Tide and the Shorebreakers gig on Sunday 03AUG at the Basement in Sydney.Rob, Jim and Martin were joined by the bass player from the Violent Femmes and played a set of 45 + mins ( approx )Oil Songs covered were :Wedding Cake IslandWhen The Generals Talk ( Rob on vocal )Helps me Helps You ( Rob on Vocal )Truganini ( Jim on Vocal )Plus some other surf songs . They were joined by Wayne Goodwin and his son on keyboards and trumpet in one song.Other acts performing that night wereRoss Wilson ( Daddy Cool & Mondo Rock )The AtlanticsDog Trumpetamong others......Next Gig - Angry Tradesmen in Sep at the Vanguard/Newtown.Chris.____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Win a Nokia E51 with mobile Hotmail SMS alerts  http://www.livelife .ninemsn. com.au/compIntro .aspx?compId= 4589[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com. au/search[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]Find a better answer, faster with the new Yahoo!7 Search. www.yahoo7.com.au/search[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]