Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Digest Number 1157
From: Adrian Hooper
Date: 25/06/2008, 10:51 am
To: No Reply <notify-dg-powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>, powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

PGs mum passed in the late 70s.  I always thought "Eye Contact (Pt2)" was a response.

  Adrian

powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au wrote:
                              powderworks
    Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)
1.1.
   Re: Some Oil's 'youtube' treats From: Patricia Daukantas
2.
   Re: In The Valley From: James Warren
  View All Topics | Create New Topic
  Messages
1.1.
     Re: Some Oil's 'youtube' treats   Posted by: "Patricia Daukantas" planet_pat@hotmail.com   patoodle2001   Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:40 am (EST)
Y'know, I have a cassette tape of most of the Paradise gig (don't ask me where I put it in my messy house, though...), and I too have wondered about the evolution of "In the Valley." It was such an upbeat song at the Paradise, yet in the MTV Unplugged show it's very melancholy, and PG says afterward, "We all have our moments of emotional truth." Was it between those two recordings that his Mum died in a house fire? Maybe that prompted the band to make the song more of an elegy....

Just wondering, back to lurking,
Patty in Maryland

To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au; anthonygibbo@yahoo.com.auFrom: rickysan@optusnet.com.auDate: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:42:11 +1000Subject: Re: [powderworks] Some Oil's 'youtube' treats

I can actually give you a rough time frame of when 'in the valley' started changing shapeThe version on the 'you tube' clip is the same that they played at the shellharbour workers club shows the week before the boston shows But a month later at the emnore theatre shows it sounded noticeably different (enough to notice despite only having heard it twice previously) ......so they must have tweaked the song at the start of May 1993We got backstage at one of those Enmore shows through one of the Oils security guys we had become friends with at the Ent. Cent shows in 1990 (random trivia - grant kenny and lisa curry were backstage too...blasts from the aussie past haha) ..... we got to chat to all the boys at various stages after the gig..... and i actually mentioned to Rob how 'In The Valley' sounded different from the month before at Shellharbour and Rob said "yeah.... it was in tune tonight" and he laughed hahahaRick----- Original Message ----- From: anthonygibbo To:
 powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 3:41 PMSubject: [powderworks] Some Oil's 'youtube' treatsJust saw a great old/new clip (from the '94 MTV unplugged gig) on youtube, only added 12 june 08. Great Angels cover!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybm1eELjutYDoes anyone know if this show is available anywhere (US, UK etc)?Also worth downloading from youtube are the 5 part "MIDNIGHT OIL - Live @ The Paradise Theatre 1992"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrmgIwN0sWM&feature=relatedThese are audio only (not great quality) but still worth a listen.These clips have some live versions of their Earth, Sun & Moon albumn, which was released the following year (1993). Songs like 'Truganini', 'Renaissance Man' sound like they are still "works in progress' as they are nothing like the released versions, but are still brilliant. 'In The Valley' is almost unrecognisable except for the chorus. Its bloody awesome hearing these songs being road-tested by the band way before
 the recording/release.enjoyAnthony[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    Back to top
Messages in this topic (3)

2.
     Re: In The Valley   Posted by: "James Warren" jimcwarren@earthlink.net   jimcwarren42   Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:33 am (EST)
Patty,

No, I believe that tragedy happened when Peter was relatively young. I always really liked that song before I ever felt the stiff-arm from Hades. Now I'm grateful for it.

-James

    Back to top
Messages in this topic (1)

  Visit Your Group

    Y!7 Toolbar
  Get it Free!
  easy 1-click access
  to your groups.

    Yahoo!7 Groups
  Start a group
  in 3 easy steps.
  Connect with others.

      Need to Reply?

  Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

Adrian
Hanimex Stand
0400471897
myspace