Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Oils in too much sunshine ...
From: david earle
Date: 24/04/2008, 8:18 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

First time I saw MO (and I think the first concert I ever went to - either them or John Swan) -must've been '83, just as 10-1 went supernova. Sitting in the stands at the back of Memorial Dr tennis courts in Adelaide with my brother and a some friends. Stomping the boards in time to the music. Only knew songs from that album, but the show went off - pretty good introduction to live shows, and a yardstick against which to measure things from then on.

  Saw them at the Drive loads of times (I saw them every tour from then on). Was lucky  enough to be there during the electrical storm when huge lightning strikes formed a backdrop to the performance, neatly matching the cover of BSM. I think it was on that tour, if not that night, that PG was climbing all over the stage scaffolding, improvising as he hung precariously 10 metres or so above the ground, while the rest of the oils noodled along beneath, probably hoping he'd come down soon!

  Ah, the memories.......