Midnight Oil

Subject: RE: [powderworks] Who got close up and personal with the Oils - on video ?
From: matt richards
Date: 15/04/2008, 3:40 pm
To: The Oilman <theoilman@new.rr.com>, <brucewcameron@yahoo.com>, rick <rickysan@optusnet.com.au>, <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Jim cut his video  for "outerspace" in our studio in Melbourne in July 2006.
That was pretty choice.

To: brucewcameron@yahoo.com; rickysan@optusnet.com.au; powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au
From: TheOilman@new.rr.com
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:17:12 -0500

            Ok, not being from Oz, or anywhere where video footage exists (that I know of), but I can say that if you open WILLIE'S BAR & GRILL and turn to page 153, you will read a little of me where Rob explains a guy in Minneapolis producing a large B/W photo of the band from 1977. I in fact had brought 3 or 4, the band were hilarious giving each other crap about MARTIN's Beard, Peter's little vocoder box thing he had, etc. It was damn funny to watch them with each other, calling Willie over to check out the photos, it was something I'll never forget. Glad Rob remembered me! I remember one of the nights prior, having a backstage pass from Liquid 8, teasing Martin about his beard and he kept saying, no you're thinking of Jim, I explained "IT'S OLD!, are you saying you didn't have one???" He started laughing and so after the 5 hour drive (well 7considering from the previous show I was at) of course I had to produce that one to get him to sign it, he remembered me right off when I held up a photo and asked Martin, "remember me and that photo you said isn't you!??", you should have saw him laughing, rocking back in his chair so hard I thought he was gonna topple over backwards!, yes, QUIET Martin, it was priceless!

In fact, Jim loved it so much, he flipped it over and wrote his address on the back to mail him a copy, but have never found a place that would duplicate it so I could send him one!! I feel terrible about this, but it certainly hasn't been a lack of trying!!

I must say that the Liquid 8 street team really was a great thing for many of us in the states (and many powderworkers) who got so many perks on the Capricornia tour and many of us long time fans finally had a good chance to meet and chat with them. Heck, I was even in the family/manager opera booth at one of the House of Blues shows in Chicago but that was actually through Willies daughter.

Also, after just seeing New Model Army twice this weekend, I must say its good to see them still carrying the torch the Oils had for so long, insane live performance and incredible social/political rock. It was like a religious experience, no, better than that. The only Oils shows I saw that compared were the 3 Mercury Lounge shows (Cheryl, you out there?? ;-)

Long live the Oils!!

Todd (the Oilman)

Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT