Midnight Oil

Subject: D&D + The minister for the environment.
From: "Kevin M Yates" <kyates@bne.catholic.edu.au>
Date: 24/02/2008, 9:54 am

Hi All,

Got the re-released D&D yesterday and had a listen last night.

First impression, I quite like it. As I listened to to it, I skipped back to the old release on my ipod to compare the sound quality and the difference is subtle, but noticable and enjoyable.

Overall, it's the background that benefits I think, the sounds in the background, little extra riffs which were lost on the old release. The 'atmospherics' in Warakurna, riffs in the background on Sometimes, the keyboard in Whoah (spelt wrong on the website!!!) - all come up nicely. It's easier to listen to one instrument from start to finish now.

I have to say though that I think Sell My Soul (what ever version it has been decided this is) has lost a bit. I think the new drum parts mess with the solid beat of that song and the extras vocals hide the guitar solo which I think is a strength of the song. I'll still listen to it, but might flick to the Scream in Blue or Unplugged version.

Overall, has been done well, not mindblowing, but if you listen carefully you'll find plenty here. I don't think it would have been wise to completely change the sound of the album, this in someways, is one of the simplest Oils releases, great straightforward songs - now nicely cleaned up so we can hear everything going on.

I like the inclusion of the live shots in the pachaking as well.

On another note, just saw some vision of Pete in parliament this week, absolutly giving it to the opposition on climate change, even telling Joe Hockey to sit down half way through - the fire was back in the belly and it certainly put a smile on my face to see the ranting beast back again. More please.

Thats my 2 cents.

Kev

-- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by the BCEC Security Gateway, and is believed to be clean. Brisbane Catholic Education however gives no warranties that this e-mail is free from computer viruses or other defects. Except for responsibilities implied by law that cannot be excluded, Brisbane Catholic Education, its employees and agents will not be responsible for any loss, damage or consequence arising from this e-mail. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]