Midnight Oil

Subject: email warnings about technology, crime, viruses etc
From: RM
Date: 9/01/2008, 1:21 pm
To: ashokachowta@optusnet.com.au
CC: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

email warnings about technology, crime, viruses etc are generally all fakes and should be rebutted promptly to stop their travel.

if you get any warning, especially any that say "FORWARD THIS TO [everyone in your mail list]", first google a key phrase out of the mail (in quotes might help too) and see if it shows up on the regular hoax monitoring sites:
eg:
I googled : "ever answer a cell phone while it is being RECHARGED"
and found:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cell_phone_electrocuted.htm
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cell-phone-charging.html
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp
as the top 3 listings.  These 3 sites are the regular hoax-busters.

most people have seen enough of these to have already built up a sense of loathing for both the mails and those who pass them on, but most people also have to first send one to learn this, so don't feel too embarrassed, we've all been caught.

Cheers
RM

on 09/01/08 13:08 ashokachowta@optusnet.com.au said the following:
i know this is unrelated to midnight oil but i felt this was something relevent to send anyway  > > -----Original Message-----
> From: Yon, Dany (DFC) > Sent: Wednesday, 9 January 2008 10:39 AM
> To: DL:DFC Families Salisbury DC; DL:DFC Families Volunteer Program
> Managers
> Subject: FW: Don't charge your mobile phone the whole night & don't keep
> it nearby.
> >  > > Hi every one,
> >  > > Dany Yon > Volunteer Program Manager
> Salisbury District Centre > Families SA
> Department for Families and Communities > Phone: (08) 8209 4947 > Fax: (08) 8209 4999 > dany.yon@dfc.sa.gov.au <mailto:yon.dany@saugov.sa.gov.au>  > > -----Original Message-----
> From: Jan Sterck [mailto:jsterck@bigpond.net.au] > Sent: Wednesday, 9 January 2008 8:50 AM
> To: "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@adl0740.systems.sa.gov.au
> Subject: Fw: Don't charge your mobile phone the whole night & don't keep
> it nearby.
> >  > >  > > VERY IMPORTANT
> >  > >  > >  > >  PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY, I HOPE YOU'RE NOT DOING THIS!!!
> Never, ever answer a cell phone while it is being RECHARGED!!
> A few days ago, a person was recharging his cell phone at home. Just at > that time a call Came in and he answered it with the instrument still
> connected to the outlet. After a few seconds electricity flowed into the
> cell phone unrestrained and the young man was thrown to the ground with
> a > heavy thud. His parents rushed to the room only to find him unconscious,
> with a weak heartbeat and burnt fingers. He was rushed to the nearby
> hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival. Cell phones are a very
> useful modern invention. However, we must be aware that it can also be
> an instrument! of death.
> Never use the cell phone while it is hooked to the electrical outlet!
> FORWARD THIS TO THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER IN YOUR LIFE, > I JUST DID!! > >   > >  > >  > >  > > > > > >  > >  > >  > >      > > ________________________________
> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1212 - Release Date:
> 6/01/2008 10:55 PM

Ashoka Chowta Graphic Designs
Myrtle Bank SA, 5064
Australia Mobile: 0404 217 028 Tele: 8379 8756

Yahoo!7 Groups Links