Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: Peter Garrett, and the lead singer of his new band
From: "Peter Toluzzi" <petert23@comcast.net>
Date: 5/12/2007, 5:38 am

Hey Powdies, thanks for all your comments, and I'd still like to hear other
opinions.  My own is that Peter probably did make some gaffes, not having
the instincts of a life-long politician, and it's probably not a bad idea
anyway to let him grow into his new political confidence at his own pace.
Plus, like a new player on a team, you want to protect him at first, not
expose him full brunt of the opposition. just as cricketers or any good
sports team will target the new guy or the weak link on the other team.  So
I'm happy enough that Peter is on some firm turf with Arts and Heritage (and
The Oils WERE as important as artists in their own right, imho, as well as
being an important social force).  And I'm sure, in a term or so, he may
grow into a more specialized environmental / climate control position.  But
most of all, I want him to gain in his confidence, so he can again become an
outspoken and influential figure, not just a back-room expert. In the US, we
use the term "bully pulpit" when politicians choose to tell the people about
their moral duties.  PG could sure use that tool well as he becomes
stronger.  And he'd better, 'cos there's a shit-storm coming! - PeterT