Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] Re: Peter Garrett, and the lead singer of his new band
From: Nathan Arrowsmith
Date: 3/12/2007, 11:34 am
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

We all know Pete is passionate about the arts and the environment, so
it's perfect. If he had to deal with water and climate change as well
he's probably be spread a little thin. Creating these 2 portfolios
indicates the priority placed on these issues by the Rudd government. I
honestly think the two so called 'gaffes' by Pete were very minor and
shouldn't reflect on his ability to do the job.

I also found that Rudd article from the Guardian interesting. Imagine a
politician with integrity leading the country! Things are looking up.

Nathan

Peter Toluzzi wrote:

"Later, though, he shied away from the media after two blunders when he
appeared unsure about the issues surrounding the Kyoto Protocol and
when he
reportedly told a radio talkshow host off the record that Labor would
change
some of its campaign promises once elected.

Garrett's minor portfolio, which also includes heritage and the arts, is
being seen as a rebuke for those mistakes. However, the prime
minister-elect, Kevin Rudd, has said the decision to split the environment
portfolio between two ministers reflected the increased importance of
issues
such as global warming and renewable energy." - from The Guardian

So, do you Powderworkers think this is accurate or spin? Did Peter really
make gaffes, or did the press create them out of the need for them? Is
this
a minor rebuke, a major victory, or just appropriate political behavior?
For that matter, do you all like Kevin Rudd? I was impressed by the
article where he found the service aspect of Christianity to be a big
motivation.

Please discuss, I value your opinions more than some jerk from The
Guardian
or The SMH.

Thanks! PG's been one of my heroes since 1979 or so, when I still lived
with my parents in the Northern Beaches of Sydney.