Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: [powderworks] RE: Pete in the ministry
From: "Beth Curran" <bcurran@columbus.rr.com>
Date: 29/11/2007, 11:38 pm
To: <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>, "Anna Offler" <aoffler@iprimus.com.au>

Go get 'em Pete!  The Minister with a Hat and a Big Noise!  (We ought to have P'works T-shirts made)

A few questions about this article:

I didn't see anything about a ministry for Aboriginal affairs - is that part of one of the ministry positions listed in the article?  Someone explained to me a few years ago that such an office wouldn't be likely to be held by someone of Aboriginal heritage, basically because they don't participate in the Australian governmental process (I forget the exact wording they used to describe the situation).  If so, will this new Labor government possibly change that?

Second, a ministry for youth I can understand, but youth and sport?  What's the role of the government in sport?  Thanks - Beth