Midnight Oil

Subject: Re: File sharing advice in general
From: "Seeker" <seeker42@gmail.com>
Date: 20/11/2007, 2:34 pm
To: powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au

That's my understanding too - unreleased live material is fine and the
band have confirmed this - I seem to remember Jeff Scott (maybe, my
recollection could be wrong) showed some band members the collected
Anthoilogy footage? - and shows containing released material
(particularly the MTV Unplugged shows) are only to be distributed if
the released content is removed. In the case of an alternate source to
the released material, distribution is usually allowed - ie. an
audience recording of a released concert is fine, but to distrubute
the video of a song for which the audio has been commercially released
is not, and probably illegal.

Whether this is all 100% legal I don't know, but it's how the tapers
"code of honour", so to speak, operates. No-one profits, and no-one
gets released material for free. Seems fair!

--- In powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au, "Beth Curran" <bcurran@...> wrote:

No flame shields needed - this was a courteously worded and very
timely reminder!

I seem to remember from historical discussions of this topic that
when considering sharing of live recordings, one ought to consider the
wishes of the band.  I believe that live show sharing was OK with the
Oils members provided that none were ever sold or otherwise used as a
source of profit, but I'm not sure whether this is an accurate
recollection.  Youth and others could probably advise us better on
that? - Beth