Midnight Oil

Subject: RE: RE: [powderworks] Your opinion of Pete's approval of the Pulp Mill
From: "TimC" <tim_augustus@yahoo.com.au>
Date: 23/10/2007, 7:28 pm
To: <ashokachowta@optusnet.com.au>, <powderworks@yahoogroups.com.au>

Well firstly, PG didn’t ‘approve’ the pulp mill per se – That was Malcolm Turnbull’s job. Secondly, I think it’s a standard cynical political move – Labor for the last 10 months has been bending over backwards to avoid being ‘wedged’ by Howard, and the pulp mill commitment has to be seen in that light – a pragmatic gesture to avoid scaring the punters unnecessarily. The fact is that the pulp mill has been approved by those with the power to do so – the Gunns… I mean Labor Tasmanian Government and the Federal Government. I’m not sure that it will be possible to alter that fact even after the election – big business tends not to like that behaviour, and it would merely be a rallying point for the defeated Coalition. And the fact is that Labor has, whether either party likes it or not, the Greens off to the side running the ideological war for them. The Greens would probably never admit it but Labor is naturally much closer in general ideology than the Libs/Nats, as demonstrated by the strong flow of Green preferences to Labor at most elections.

As the article argues there’s little doubt that Garrett (along with many colleagues) isn’t comfortable with the mill or the process surrounding it – but there’s no point throwing the election away crying about things that can’t be changed. A lot of shall we say less-enlightened people are uncomfortable with the idea of that rabid greenie as the Minister of Environment and he’s been quite obviously doing everything he can to allay their fears; a bit of pragmatism goes a long way in politics! No doubt there will be room for changes in the future – tightening of effluent and emissions restrictions on the mill and adjustments to the amount of old growth available for clearing two major examples.

I am quite optimistic about his future in (hopefully) the next Government, as we all know he’s an intelligent and passionate bloke and I hope he will be able to put in motion the changes necessary to move Australia in a more sustainable and clean direction – and show the ‘economy first’ types that one can be green and prosperous!