Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] LMOC: Side Project content on ITunes?

Maurice Kelly mkelly at deadheart.org.uk
Fri Jan 14 06:51:38 MST 2005

Kate_Adams wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I got myself one of those "30 gig harddisk that plays tunes" widgets for
> Xmas, and I went and checked out I Tunes.  I was able to find some of
> the local college radio bands on there, but I did not find any
> Ghostwriters or anything like that.
>
> Anybody know if any of Rob's or Jim's extra-Oils work is going to make
> it to ITunes?  I'd really prefer that to having to send half way around
> the world for it.

My understanding of how it works is that each iTunes music store has
an arrangement with the local performing rights organisation and the
record labels and so on. So in each territory there is a different
agreement (which is why the Irish iTunes store came online after the
rest of the Euro countries as I believe there was a dispute.) I would
imagine that Rob or Jim's work would only go on the US iTunes store if
the local (US) record companies had access to it - were the
side-projects ever released in the US?

Also, you have to have a credit card registered in the country for
whose store you wish to buy from, so a US credit card is no good for
purchasing from the Aussie iTunes. I noticed this recently as I live
in Northern Ireland, but cannot purchase from the Irish iTunes (which,
with exchange rates, works out cheaper for me.)

Of course, my understanding could be completely wrong, and I welcome
informed corrections :-)

--
Maurice Kelly