Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Administrivia -- "for reals" this time, the list must move.

Maurice Kelly mkelly at deadheart.org.uk
Sun Jan 9 07:02:45 MST 2005

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Hi folks.  Back in May I sent out the following request for comments.  The
> general consensus was that people would prefer that the list remain on a
> private server, and that was my preference too.
>
> However, I looked about & talked to a friend who has one, and eventually
> concluded that moving the list to a private server would cost real money.  And
> that, while I do care about the list, I don't care enough to spend money on
> it.
>
> So, now the University of Colorado CS department is Really Truly shutting down
> the old list server.  I'm hoping that Google retains it's "minimally
> offensive" corporate attitude & profile, and moving the list over to
> powderworks at googlegroups.com (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/powderworks).
>
> There are three ways to migrate you all -- one, I can ask you to just sign up
> on your own.  Two, I can send you all invitations via the googlegroups.com
> service.  Three, I can just add you to the new list.  I'm inclined to go with
> the third option, and will on Sunday unless I get a lot of feedback saying I
> should go with one of the other options.  With any of the options, you have to
> set a googlegroups.com password to leave the list.  With the third option, you
> don't need to set one to be added to the list.

Tim,

I offered a while back to create a mailing list on my own server, and
I could probably still do this. It would be independently owned and
advertising free. I think I currently have several gigabytes of
bandwidth free every month - I don't know how much traffic Powderworks
generates, but if it's not too intensive I could accomodate it.

Personally though, I'm not fussed where the mailing list is hosted, as
long as several criteria are met -
1) it remains a mailing list - no web forums or newsgroups.
2) advertising is not overdone, or intrusive
3) archives are set up to mask addresses so that they can't be
harvested by spammers!

Cheers,

Maurice

--