Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] RE: VHS to DVD

mbtigger at charter.net mbtigger at charter.net
Fri Mar 5 11:35:18 MST 2004

Quote..

as the one who re-mastered MTV unplugged onto VCD I am personally
offended by your comments
Endquote

I am sorry Mirhon, I did not mean to be offensive; Its'a good VCD and I have watched in many times! (and I thank you for your efforts)  It's just that limits on resolution and playback of VCD's (Bitrate, time, etc) just make me itch for a very good VHS or DVD.

Quote again....
I think someone is working on converting this specific show to DVD
but I would like to point out that DVD does not guarantee quality. a
conversion such as the one we - on the list - are capable of doing,
will yield a result only as good as the source. so a DVD copy of MTV
unplugged is unlikely to look any better than the VHS copy. in fact,
it will probably be slightly worse. the format or media might be
more convenient, long lasting and easier to trade but that's about
it. if you have the original copy, shot on film, non interlaced,
full resolution and pro gear it is a different story.

Enquote...

True, the DVD will have slightly less resolution than the VHS original. But like the VCD, it will be easy to copy and mail copies in trade to other people. With a DVD burner I am finding DVD to be a more versitile format than VHS, and has become my format of preference.

Michael