Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] HMMM..

j p niven poppycocteau at flashmail.com
Tue Feb 24 00:33:30 MST 2004

At 8:31 PM -0700 2/23/04, powderworks-request at cs-lists.cs.colorado.edu wrote:
>I wonder on what basis the Oils "Licensing" dept thought that a eurodisco
>cover of Beds was a good idea ? I can only imagine that they would have been
>paid a shitload of roylaties and upfront fees to allow the song to be
>covered, and i don't begrudge them for that at all - hope they get as much
>as they want because it's their right.
>
>As stated in a previous email, the Oils rightly maintain creative control
>over their material, so i'm assuming all members had a vote on this matter.

I was under the impression that permission doesn't need to be granted
directly for anyone to perform a new interpretation of a work, as
long as the original author receives royalties they're owed from it.
Those of you who did songs for the Powderworkers comps - you didn't
need to get each song individually approved by the band before
beginning work, did you? (correct me if I'm wrong please!)

reminds me of Straitjacket Fits covering Leonard Cohen's "So Long
Marianne". After they'd recorded it they sent Cohen a copy, but
received no reply - they thought this was perhaps because he was
upset that they'd ruined his song :)

jpn