Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Pete is THE Big Scary Bald Guy

ribman at manthey.com.au ribman at manthey.com.au
Wed Apr 28 17:24:29 MDT 2004

I know lots of us know Pete's not a fashion-victim ...but here's a quick rant
from an old fart just in case ...
Pete shaved when it WASN'T trendy to do so.  Back in (?) '78 bald was
actually really weird.  Extremely few people shaved ... it was actually very
threatening ... most notable other shaved bald people were Rose Tattoo's
Angry Anderson (shave-bald and covered in tat's ... ooo scary! ... heh) and
severe movie-type gang members, ie: in either "The Warriors" or "The
Outsiders" can't remember which.  The only other bald people were from
complete hair loss or chemo patients.  It was NOT a desirable look.
Somewhere about 1990 someone figured that shaving bald was actually a
great alternative to the monk or combover response to male-pattern-
baldness.  So suddenly people with failing hairlines hit the razor as a
hiding place.  Then people with perfectly good hair formation decided that
it could work for them too.  Hey presto ... Right Said Fred.
Now Pete shaved (as I recall one story) as a sign of utter commitment to
the Oils project. It was NOT an attractive look and wasn't intended to be.
In 1981 (I was 17) a 6ft6 scowling bald guy drenched in sweat and
screaming about the CIA and bombs was as fear-inducing as hearing the
grim reaper whisper your name while a great white is circling your surf-
board.

rant rant rant
 rob